Qualitative understanding of Maxwell's addition

• Thread starter Isaac0427
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Addition
In summary: And finally, solving for \vec B we get: $$\vec B = \mu_0 \vec J + \varepsilon_0 \frac {\partial}{\partial t} \left(\frac {\partial \vec E}{\partial t} \right)$$In summary, this equation states that the magnetic field is caused by the electric field and vice versa.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Can somebody please give me a qualitative understanding of how a moving electric field creates a magnetic field and vice versa per maxwells equations? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps http://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-tll-004-stem-concept-videos-fall-2013/videos/governing-rules/maxwell2019s-equations/ can help?

Isaac0427 said:
how a moving electric field creates an electric field
Did you perhaps mean to write "magnetic field" instead of the second "electric field"?

jtbell said:
Did you perhaps mean to write "magnetic field" instead of the second "electric field"?
Yea, let me edit that.

OK, I'm going to assume you've seen simple applications of Ampere's law without the Maxwell "addition", for finding e.g. the magnetic field produced by straight wire. We define an "Amperian loop", integrate B around it, and relate that to the current "enclosed" by the loop: $$\oint {\vec B \cdot d \vec l} = \mu_0 I$$ More precisely, to get the "enclosed" current, we define a surface whose boundary is the loop, and integrate the current density over that surface: $$\oint {\vec B \cdot d \vec l} = \mu_0 \int {\vec J \cdot d \vec a}$$ In a steady-state situation (magnetostatics) it doesn't matter what shape the surface is, so long as it doesn't have any "holes" in it. We get the same current through it regardless of the shape, and the same B field around the boundary.

ampere1.gif

Now suppose we put a capacitor in the circuit.

ampere2.gif

No current actually passes through the surface any more! Instead we have an E field whose magnitude changes as the current dumps charge on one plate and removes it from the other. If we use only the current through the surface to calculate the B field, we get different results depending on the shape of the surface, i.e. whether the current actually "pierces" the surface or not. No good!

We can restore the consistency if we assume that the time-varying flux of E through the surface also contributes to the calculation. Define a new "displacement current" $$I_\textrm{d} = \varepsilon_0 \frac {\partial}{\partial t} \int {\vec E \cdot d \vec a}$$ and add it to the normal "conduction current": $$\oint {\vec B \cdot d \vec l} = \mu_0 (I + I_d)$$ Substituting the definitions of the I's we get the full Ampere-Maxwell law in integral form: $$\oint {\vec B \cdot d \vec l} = \mu_0 \int {\vec J \cdot d \vec a} + \mu_0 \varepsilon_0 \frac {\partial}{\partial t} \int {\vec E \cdot d \vec a}$$ Or in differential form: $$\vec \nabla \times \vec B = \mu_0 \vec J + \mu_0 \varepsilon_0 \frac {\partial \vec E}{\partial t}$$

Related to Qualitative understanding of Maxwell's addition

1. What is Maxwell's addition and why is it important in science?

Maxwell's addition is a mathematical principle that explains how velocities add in special relativity. It states that the velocity of an object relative to an observer is not simply the sum of its own velocity and the observer's velocity, but rather a more complex calculation taking into account the speed of light and the angle between the velocities. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, which is important in fields such as particle physics and astronomy.

2. How does Maxwell's addition differ from Galilean addition?

In classical mechanics, Galilean addition is used to calculate the velocity of an object relative to an observer. It is a simple addition of velocities and works well at low speeds. However, at high speeds, Maxwell's addition must be used as it takes into account the constant speed of light in all reference frames, which is a fundamental principle in special relativity.

3. Can you provide an example of how Maxwell's addition works in practice?

Imagine an observer on a train moving at 0.5c (half the speed of light) throws a ball forward at 0.5c. According to Galilean addition, the ball's velocity relative to the ground would be 1c (the sum of the train's velocity and the ball's velocity). However, using Maxwell's addition, the ball's velocity relative to the ground would be slightly less than 1c due to the relativistic effects of time dilation and length contraction. This example demonstrates the importance of using Maxwell's addition in high-speed scenarios.

4. How does Maxwell's addition support Einstein's theory of special relativity?

Maxwell's addition is a key component of Einstein's theory of special relativity. It helps to explain the behavior of objects moving at high speeds and is consistent with the principles of the theory, such as the constancy of the speed of light in all reference frames. Without Maxwell's addition, special relativity would not be able to accurately describe the behavior of objects moving at relativistic speeds.

5. Are there any practical applications of Maxwell's addition?

Yes, Maxwell's addition has many practical applications in fields such as particle physics, astronomy, and engineering. For example, it is used in the design of high-speed transportation systems, such as airplanes and spacecraft. It also plays a crucial role in the development of modern technologies, such as GPS systems and particle accelerators. Overall, understanding and applying Maxwell's addition is essential in many scientific and technological advancements.