Quality Erasable Whiteboard Markers.

• Thread starter MidgetDwarf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quality
In summary, the conversation is about finding quality whiteboard markers for personal use. The speaker expresses their dislike for Expo brand markers and mentions wanting to try a higher quality brand. They also mention being picky about writing tools and preferring Tombow Mono 100, Black Warrior, General writing, and Tombow dragonfly pencils. Other participants in the conversation suggest trying Palomino pencils, refillable markers, and the Faber Castell eraser. The conversation also discusses the lasting power and scent of Expo markers, as well as the effectiveness of the erasers on pencils.
MidgetDwarf
Was wondering if anyone here knew of quality white board markers. I do not like expo brand markers (cheap quality), these are for my personal use. I do not mind paying a bit more for quality. Ie I use tombow mono 100, lumograph, blackwings as my writing pencils.

I remember a professor had a set of markers, that looked like retractable giant pens. They looked like good quality. When you where done writing you could retract marker tip. Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
I am curious ... What don't you like about Expo?

Over the last four years, I have done a lot of lecturing using whiteboards (approximately eight one-semester courses). My department stocks Expo and Staedtler markers (both cheap) for instructors to use, and I like Expo better than Staedtler. Expo markers write more smootthly and erase much more easily, but Staedtler markers last longer.

I don't know of any instructors who buy their own higher quality markers.

George Jones said:
I am curious ... What don't you like about Expo?

Over the last four years, I have done a lot of lecturing using whiteboards (approximately eight one-semester courses). My department stocks Expo and Staedtler markers (both cheap) for instructors to use, and I like Expo better than Staedtler. Expo markers write more smootthly and erase much more easily, but Staedtler markers last longer.

I don't know of any instructors who buy their own higher quality markers.

They have a strong odor, they tend to run out fast, color is vibrant but during the course of a week it fades and eventually dies. I do like Expo, but want something a bit higher quality. I'm picky about writing tools. Ie write with a modern day ticonderoga (the vintage ones are great btw) and use a Hi-Uni. The difference is nite and day.

MidgetDwarf said:
I'm picky about writing tools. Ie write with a modern day ticonderoga

Have you tried Palomino pencils?

Stephen Tashi said:
Have you tried Palomino pencils?

Yes, prefer the blue Palomino over the 602. Golden bear is also a nice budget pencil. My favorites are the Tombow Mono 100, Black Warrior (made in USA), General writing, and tombow dragonfly.

Expo makes scented markers, which have a strong but less chemically smell. You may prefer them. (I don't - the apple smells like a bad apple-tini)

Vanadium 50 said:
Expo makes scented markers, which have a strong but less chemically smell. You may prefer them. (I don't - the apple smells like a bad apple-tini)

Haha, at the bad apple-tini. Will give these a try, has anyone had success with refillable markers?

One thing the Dixon Ticonderoga HB pencil got right is the eraser. So many erasers on pencils don't erase on printer/copier paper, which is the kind of paper that I always have handy. The Ticonderoga eraser works on such paper.

Stephen Tashi said:
One thing the Dixon Ticonderoga HB pencil got right is the eraser. So many erasers on pencils don't erase on printer/copier paper, which is the kind of paper that I always have handy. The Ticonderoga eraser works on such paper.

Yeah, the ones with the tomahawk eraser are really nice, hard to find tho, and the eraser does not erase.

Have you tried the faber castell eraser( it is green and it has the same name as there flagship pencil). Best eraser I ever used.

MidgetDwarf said:
They have a strong odor, they tend to run out fast, color is vibrant but during the course of a week it fades and eventually dies.
I don't know how fastidious you are about putting the cap back on when you're not using them, but if you aren't, they don't last as long. I've been using Expo markers for quite a few years, and they last much longer than a week for me. I usually have four of different colors that I keep with me. As soon as I have finished whatever I'm writing, I put the cap back on, and take it back off when I'm ready to write something else.

Related to Quality Erasable Whiteboard Markers.

What are erasable whiteboard markers?

Erasable whiteboard markers are markers specifically designed for writing on dry erase boards. They contain a special type of ink that can easily be wiped off the board using a dry cloth or eraser.

How do erasable whiteboard markers work?

Erasable whiteboard markers work by using an ink that contains a solvent, typically alcohol, which allows the ink to be easily wiped away when in contact with a dry cloth or eraser. This solvent also allows the ink to dry quickly and prevent smudging.

What makes quality erasable whiteboard markers different from regular markers?

Quality erasable whiteboard markers are specifically designed for use on dry erase boards and contain an ink that can be easily erased without leaving behind any residue. Regular markers may be difficult to erase and can leave behind stains or damage the board surface.

Are erasable whiteboard markers safe to use?

Yes, erasable whiteboard markers are generally safe to use. However, it is important to use them in a well-ventilated area as the solvent in the ink may emit fumes. It is also recommended to avoid contact with skin and to wash hands after use.

Can erasable whiteboard markers be used on any surface?

Erasable whiteboard markers are designed for use on dry erase boards, but they can also be used on other smooth and non-porous surfaces such as glass, metal, and plastic. However, they may not be easily erasable on these surfaces and may leave behind residue.