Quantum Chemistry by McQuarrie

In summary, "Quantum Chemistry" by Donald McQuarrie has received mixed reviews. While some appreciate the author's axiomatic approach and helpful math interludes, others criticize the book for covering too much material and making an overly simplified analogy between classical and quantum mechanics. Overall, the book's chapter on formalism and historical perspective on quantum are its strongest points.

For those who have used this book

• Strongly Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly Recommend

• Strongly don't Recommend

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't like this book. I don't really think there is any reason it needs to exist.

Pros: His chapter on formalism is good. I like that he takes an axiomatic point of view. For those that need it, his math interludes are helpful. I enjoy his historical chapter on quantum a lot (chapter 1).

Cons: It is too mathematically light and attempts to cover too much material. It is a book on quantum mechanics, spectroscopy and computational chemistry all mixed into one text. I don't like how he goes about making an analog between the classical wave equation and the schrodinger equation.

1. What is the main purpose of "Quantum Chemistry by McQuarrie"?

The main purpose of "Quantum Chemistry by McQuarrie" is to provide a comprehensive introduction to the principles and applications of quantum mechanics in the field of chemistry.

2. Who is the author of "Quantum Chemistry by McQuarrie"?

The author of "Quantum Chemistry by McQuarrie" is Donald A. McQuarrie, a renowned chemist and professor at the University of California, Davis.

3. Is "Quantum Chemistry by McQuarrie" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Quantum Chemistry by McQuarrie" is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basic principles of quantum mechanics and gradually builds upon them to cover advanced topics.

4. Does "Quantum Chemistry by McQuarrie" include practical examples and exercises?

Yes, "Quantum Chemistry by McQuarrie" includes numerous practical examples and exercises to help readers apply the concepts learned and improve their understanding of the subject.

5. What makes "Quantum Chemistry by McQuarrie" a popular choice among students and researchers?

"Quantum Chemistry by McQuarrie" is popular among students and researchers because of its clear and concise explanations, comprehensive coverage of quantum mechanics in chemistry, and its practical approach to learning the subject.