Quantum mechanics -- explanation of exothermic reactions

In summary: It is possible to describe in words why energy is released when a chemical bond is formed, but it would not be a shorthand way of describing something that could in principle be described in words. Are you telling me it is impossible to explain in words why energy is released when a chemical bond is formed?
Andrew1955
Hi, I am wondering about latent heat release when water freezes but it seems best to start with a regular exothermic reaction. How does bond formation create heat? What is actually happening at the microscopic level so that these combining particles are capable of causing adjacent molecules to become hotter? I am not wanting a maths answer but rather a thought experiment approach to the answer that considers what is happening microscopically. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Andrew1955 said:
Hi, I am wondering about latent heat release when water freezes but it seems best to start with a regular exothermic reaction. How does bond formation create heat? What is actually happening at the microscopic level so that these combining particles are capable of causing adjacent molecules to become hotter? I am not wanting a maths answer but rather a thought experiment approach to the answer that considers what is happening microscopically. Thanks
"I don't want math." Overlap/exchange integrals.

Bystander said:
"I don't want math." Overlap/exchange integrals.

Sorry I have no idea what that comment is telling me.

Andrew1955 said:
Sorry I have no idea what that comment is telling me.
You have stated that you do not want any math; if you Google "overlap/exchange integral(s)"-"math", you'll get nothing but math. Do not request that we appeal to your intuition(s), or that we appease your intuition(s), because it simply will not happen on PF.

Bystander said:
You have stated that you do not want any math; if you Google "overlap/exchange integral(s)"-"math", you'll get nothing but math. Do not request that we appeal to your intuition(s), or that we appease your intuition(s), because it simply will not happen on PF.

Are you telling me it is impossible to explain in words why energy is released when a chemical bond is formed? I thought maths was a shorthand way of describing something that could in principle be described in words?

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains how particles interact with each other and how they behave in various situations.

2. What is an exothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction is a chemical reaction in which energy is released in the form of heat. This means that the products of the reaction have less energy than the reactants, resulting in a net release of energy.

3. How does quantum mechanics explain exothermic reactions?

Quantum mechanics explains exothermic reactions by examining the energy levels and interactions of particles involved in the reaction. It provides a detailed understanding of how the energy is released and how the particles behave during the reaction.

4. Can quantum mechanics predict the outcome of an exothermic reaction?

Yes, quantum mechanics can be used to predict the outcome of an exothermic reaction. By analyzing the energy levels and interactions of particles, scientists can determine the products of a reaction and the amount of energy that will be released.

5. How is quantum mechanics relevant in our daily lives?

Quantum mechanics is relevant in our daily lives in many ways. It is used in the development of new technologies such as computer chips, lasers, and medical imaging devices. It also helps us understand the fundamental properties of matter and energy, which is essential for advancements in fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science.