Quaternion derivatives

In summary, quaternion derivatives are mathematical tools used to calculate the rate of change of a quaternion function. They are commonly used in the field of computer graphics and robotics to represent and manipulate 3D rotations. Quaternion derivatives are calculated using the rules of quaternion algebra and can be used to solve problems involving rotations in 3D space. They have many applications in various fields, including motion planning, image processing, and control systems. Quaternion derivatives play a crucial role in accurately representing and simulating complex 3D movements and rotations.
Topolfractal
I am trying to work out some basic aspects in the theory of quaternions for some work in physics I'm doing. I have went through complex analysis and saw that the only way division ( and hence the derivative) could be defined was through a numerical definition of (i). My question is does there exist a notion of a quaternion derivative even without a numerical definition of ( k, quaternion part) ? I have some pieces of a possible answer, but am far away from meaningful mathematical consistency. I would greatly appreciate if someone would push me in the right direction.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Topolfractal said:
I am trying to work out some basic aspects in the theory of quaternions for some work in physics I'm doing. I have went through complex analysis and saw that the only way division ( and hence the derivative) could be defined was through a numerical definition of (i).
?
Division of complex numbers is done by multiplying by 1 in the form of the complex conjugate of the divisor over itself. This produces a real number in the denominator. What do you mean by "numerical definition of (i)"?

Also, what do you mean by the derivative here? Are you talking about a function f whose domain and range are the complex numbers?
Topolfractal said:
My question is does there exist a notion of a quaternion derivative even without a numerical definition of ( k, quaternion part) ? I have some pieces of a possible answer, but am far away from meaningful mathematical consistency. I would greatly appreciate if someone would push me in the right direction.

I suppose you could have a function whose domain and range are quaternions. I have never heard about the derivative of such a function, but that doesn't mean that no one has done any work in this direction. To calculate a derivative you would need to use the difference quotient definition of the derivative, which entails doing division. This wikipedia article talks about the conjugate and the reciprocal of a quaternion - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternion

That helps out a lot thank you. What I mean is that the complex conjugate and complex number become real under multiplication, because we know precisely what i=sqrt(-1) and how to multiply it. This is coming though from a person who heard about quaternions but not researched them thoroughly, so I could be completely wrong.

Topolfractal said:
That helps out a lot thank you. What I mean is that the complex conjugate and complex number become real under multiplication, because we know precisely what i=sqrt(-1) and how to multiply it.
I think I know what you mean, but that's not what you're saying. A complex number and its conjugate don't become real - their product is real, due to the way multiplication of complex numbers is defined (which includes the definition of i * i = -1).
Topolfractal said:
This is coming though from a person who heard about quaternions but not researched them thoroughly, so I could be completely wrong.

Thank for the clarifications and after skimming the article I now know where I went wrong and know now about Hamiltonian's insight. It's all making sense now.
Mark44 said:
I think I know what you mean, but that's not what you're saying. A complex number and its conjugate don't become real - their product is real, due to the way multiplication of complex numbers is defined (which includes the definition of i * i = -1).
Thank you that's where I was trying to go, but just couldn't phrase it right.

The best and simplest way to compute a quaternionic derivative is as follows. We represent a quaternion argument p = x+y⋅i+z⋅j+u⋅k (i,j,k are basic quaternion units; "⋅" is the quaternion multiplication) and a quaternion-differentiable (holomorphic) function of that argument ψ(p) = ψ1(x,y,z,u)+ψ2(x,y,z,u)⋅i+ψ3(x,y,z,u)⋅j+ψ4(x,y,z,u)⋅k in the Cayley–Dickson doubling form: p = a+b⋅j, where a´= x+y⋅i ; b = z+u⋅i and ψ(p)=ψ(a,b)=Φ1(a,b)+Φ2(a,b)⋅j, where Φ1(a,b)=ψ1(a,b)+ψ2(a,b)⋅i and Φ2(a,b)=ψ3(a,b)+ψ4(a,b)⋅i. Each expression for ψ(p) is initially to be obtained from a complex function of the same kind by means of the direct replacement of a complex variable with a quaternion variable in the expression for the complex function. For example, ψ(p)=p-1. Just as a complex- holomorphic function satisfies Cauchy-Riemann's equations in complex analysis, a quaternion- holomorphic function satisfies the following quaternionic generalization of Cauchy-Riemann's equations:
(1) ∂aΦ1 = ∂b×Φ2×, (2) ∂aΦ2 = - ∂b×Φ1×,
(3) ∂aΦ1 = ∂bΦ2, (4) ∂a×Φ2 = - ∂b×Φ1
after doing a = a× = x,​
where the complex conjugation is denoted by × and the partial differentiation with respect to some variable s is denoted by ∂s. For example, by ∂b×Φ2× is denoted the partial derivative of the complex conjugate of a function Φ2 with respect to the complex conjugate of a complex variable b. Firstly, we compute the partial derivatives of functions Φ1, Φ2, Φ1×, Φ2× (with respect to variables a, b, a×, b×); secondly, we put a = a× =x in the computed expressions of partial derivatives; and thirdly, we check whether equations (1) - (4) hold. One of the formulae to compute the first quaternionic derivative of the quaternion-holomorphic function is the following:
ψ(p)(1) = (∂aΦ1 + ∂a×Φ1) + (∂aΦ2 + ∂a×Φ2)⋅j .​

Higher derivatives of quaternion-holomorphic functions can be computed analogically and they are holomorphic like the first derivative.
For details and examples I refer to http://vixra.org/abs/1609.0006

1. What are quaternion derivatives?

Quaternion derivatives are a mathematical concept used in the field of quaternion analysis to describe how a quaternion changes over time. They are similar to ordinary derivatives, but instead of measuring the rate of change of a single variable, they measure the rate of change of a quaternion, which is a four-dimensional complex number.

2. Why are quaternion derivatives used?

Quaternion derivatives are used in various fields of science and engineering, including robotics, computer graphics, and physics. They are particularly useful in describing the motion of rigid bodies in three-dimensional space, as they can capture both rotational and translational motion in a single mathematical framework.

3. How are quaternion derivatives calculated?

The calculation of quaternion derivatives involves taking partial derivatives of the quaternion components with respect to time. This can be done using the quaternion chain rule, which is similar to the chain rule used in traditional calculus. Alternatively, there are also specific formulas and algorithms for calculating quaternion derivatives, depending on the application and context.

4. Are quaternion derivatives different from ordinary derivatives?

Yes, quaternion derivatives are different from ordinary derivatives in several ways. Unlike ordinary derivatives, which are one-dimensional, quaternion derivatives are four-dimensional. Additionally, quaternion derivatives follow different rules and properties compared to ordinary derivatives, such as the product rule and the chain rule.

5. What are some real-world applications of quaternion derivatives?

Quaternion derivatives have many real-world applications, including in robotics for describing the motion and orientation of robot arms and manipulators. They are also used in computer graphics for animating 3D objects, and in physics for describing the rotational and translational motion of particles and rigid bodies. Other applications include navigation systems, flight dynamics, and control systems.