Quaternions in Clifford algebras

In summary, it is possible to find an isomorphism between the subalgebra of quaternions \mathcal{C}\ell^{+}_{3,0} and the algebra \mathcal{C}\ell_{2,0}. First, I define f:\mathcal{C}\ell^{1}_{3,0} \rightarrow \mathcal{C}\ell^{1}_{2,0} as: f(1)=1 f(e_1)=e_1 f(e_2)=e_2 f(e_3)=e_{12} Then I simply verify that the quaternion rules i^2 = j^2 = k^2 =
mnb96
Hello,
it is known quaternions are isomorphic to [tex]\mathcal{C}\ell^{+}_{3,0}[/tex], which is the even subalgebra of [tex]\mathcal{C}\ell_{3,0}[/tex]

Is it possible to find an isomorphism between [tex]\mathcal{C}\ell_{2,0}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{H} \cong \mathcal{C}\ell^{+}_{3,0}[/tex] ?

*** my attempt was: ***

Let's consider [tex]\{1,e_1, e_2, e_{12}\}[/tex] and the morphism f defined as follows:

[tex]f(1)=1[/tex]

[tex]f(e_{32})=e_1[/tex]

[tex]f(e_{13})=e_2[/tex]

[tex]f(e_{21})=e_{21}[/tex]

This almost works, in fact:
[itex]f(xy)=f(x)f(y)[/itex] always holds with one exception:

[tex]f(e_1 e_2) = -e_{21} = f(e_2)f(e_1)[/tex]
So, in this case, the morphism f does not preserve well the geometric product.
Is it possible to make the whole thing work?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have written doesn't quite make sense. Since you have not defined [tex]f(e_i)[/tex] for [tex]i=1,2[/tex].

I think what you wanted was
[tex]
f(e_{12}) = -f(e_{21}) = -e_{21} = -e_2 e_1 = -f(e_{13})f(e_{32})
=-f(e_{13}e_{32})=f(e_{12})
[/tex]
which is all as it should be.

You got all right squares and all right anticommutators. So it works.
And indeed , there is something wrong with your last formula. It is not clear what you were trying to do.

thanks for both your replies.
Maybe I now understood the mistake.

Now, please tell me if this is the correct way to proceed:
I want to find an isomorphism between the subalgebra of quaternions [tex]\mathcal{C}\ell^{+}_{3,0}[/tex] and the algebra [tex]\mathcal{C}\ell_{2,0}[/tex]

I define [tex]f:\mathcal{C}\ell^{1}_{3,0} \rightarrow \mathcal{C}\ell^{1}_{2,0}[/tex] as:

[tex]f(1)=1[/tex]
[tex]f(e_1)=e_1[/tex]
[tex]f(e_2)=e_2[/tex]
[tex]f(e_3)=e_{12}[/tex]

Now, I simply verify that the quaternion rules [tex]i^2 = j^2 = k^2 = ijk = -1[/tex], where [itex]i=e_{32}[/itex] [itex]j=e_{13}[/itex] [itex]k=e_{21}[/itex] correctly hold as follows [tex]f(i^2) = f(j^2) = f(k^2) = f(ijk) = f(-1)[/tex]

Does this make more sense?

Well, you need to show that [tex]f(e_i e_j)=f(e_i)f(e_j)[/tex].
If you have that [tex]f(e_1 e_2 e_3)=f(e_1)f(e_2)f(e_3)[/tex] then [tex]f(e_1e_2)=f(e_3)[/tex]
[tex]f(e_1)f(e_2)f(e_3)=-1,[/tex] therefore (multiply on the right by [tex]f(e_3)[/tex])
[tex]f(e_1)f(e_2)=f(e_3)=f(e_1 e_2),[/tex]
and you are home.
If this is what you mean, then you are alright.

Last edited:
What you did is a particular case of a general theorem:

If the quadratic form [tex]q[/tex] on [tex]E[/tex] is non-zero, the even subalgebra [tex]C_+[/tex] of [tex]C(E;q)[/tex] can be, in a natural way, considered as the Clifford algebra [tex]C(E_1;q_1)[/tex] of the subspace [tex]E_1=e_1^{\perp}[/tex]
of [tex]E[/tex], orthogonal to a regular vector [tex]e_1[/tex], where [tex]q_1=-q(e_1)q[/tex].

For this you define [tex]f(y)=e_1 y,[/tex] [tex]y\in e_1^{\perp}[/tex].

Then [tex]f(y)^2 = e_1 y e_1 y = -e_1^2 y^2 = -q(e_1)q(y).[/tex]

P.S. I am using the convention [tex]C(E;q)= \mathcal{C} l (E,-q)[/tex]

Last edited:
Sorry,
I am a bit confused again now.
After sleeping over it, What I wrote in my previous post doesn't sound correct anymore, because the quaternion units do not square to -1 in [tex]\mathcal{C}\ell_{2,0}[/tex].

For example, let's take one quaternion unit in [tex]\mathcal{C}\ell_{3,0}[/tex]:

[tex]i = e_{32}[/tex]

We have that:

[tex]f(e_{32}e_{32}) = f(-1) = -1 \neq f(e_{32})f(e_{32})[/tex]

so f is not a morphism because it does not preserve the geometric-product.PS: @arkajad: could you please give me a reference for that general theorem (if possible)?

Last edited:
Rene Deheuvels, "Tenseurs et Spineurs", Presses Universitaires de France, (1993), pp. 247-248 (Very good book. Good to have in the library.)

I have scanned for you the Theorem, its proof, and and example

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 393
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
... it seems to me that it is not possible to create an isomorphism between [tex]\mathcal{C}\ell_{2,0}[/tex] and the quaternion subalgebra [tex]\mathcal{C}\ell^{+}_{3,0}[/tex], unless one reverses the metric signature into:

[tex]\mathcal{C}\ell_{0,2}[/tex]

This is probably the only way to obtain [tex]e_i e_i = -1[/tex].

Which convention are you using for Cl(q)?

xy+yx = 2(x,y) or xy+yx = - 2(x,y)

I should have asked this question first.

I was assuming the first one: xy+yx = 2(x,y).
Sorry for having skipped that.

Then indeed you have an isomorphism of [tex]Cl^+(3,0)[/tex] with [tex]Cl(0,2)[/tex]

P.S. I was too quick in my first replies!

Last edited:

What are quaternions and Clifford algebras?

Quaternions are a type of mathematical object that extend the complex numbers. They are represented as a combination of a real number and three imaginary numbers. Clifford algebras are a type of algebra that are related to quaternions and are used to study geometric properties in higher dimensions.

How are quaternions and Clifford algebras used in science?

Quaternions and Clifford algebras have many applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to describe rotations and orientations in 3D and higher dimensions, and are also used in computer graphics and computer vision.

What are the advantages of using quaternions and Clifford algebras compared to other mathematical tools?

One advantage of using quaternions and Clifford algebras is their ability to represent rotations in 3D and higher dimensions without singularities. They also have a compact representation and are efficient for computations.

What are some common misconceptions about quaternions and Clifford algebras?

One common misconception is that quaternions and Clifford algebras are the same thing. While they are related, they are distinct mathematical objects. Another misconception is that they are only used in theoretical mathematics, when in fact they have practical applications in fields such as physics and computer science.

What are some resources for learning more about quaternions and Clifford algebras?

There are many online resources, books, and academic papers available for learning about quaternions and Clifford algebras. Some recommended resources include "Geometric Algebra for Physicists" by Chris Doran and Anthony Lasenby, and "Geometric Algebra for Computer Science: An Object-Oriented Approach to Geometry" by Leo Dorst, Daniel Fontijne, and Stephen Mann.