Question about Accumulation points

In summary: E##.I'm not familiar with the terminology "point of closure" either, but I've seen this definition in various textbooks. E.g., in Royden and Fitzpatrick's Real Analysis. However, it seems to me that the definition of open and closed sets in a metric space is more standard. I'm not sure what to make of this.So, if I understand you correctly, the authors have used a different definition of "accumulation point" than yours (or your prof.'s)? That's confusing, unless they define this somewhere. I don't have Royden and Fitzpatrick's book.I was thinking that the definition of open and closed sets in a metric space is one
TheChemist_
So we just recently did accumulation points in my maths class for chemists. I understood everything that was taught but ever since I was trying to find a reasonable explanation if the sequence an = (-1)n has 2 accumulation points (-1,1) or if it doesn't have any at all. I mean it's clear that its divergent (?), but that doesn't solve the problem. Because the Set of values for the sequence would be just {1,-1}, no values in between. So the general definition of accumulation points doesn't quite fit, or does it? Can somebody explain it maybe in words and in a mathematical way? Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of an accumulation point?

Say D⊂ℝ. Then a ∈ ℝ is called accumulation point of D, when there is a sequence (an) in D "without" {a} and an→a (→ means goes towards)

thats how the prof defined it

TheChemist_ said:
Say D⊂ℝ. Then a ∈ ℝ is called accumulation point of D, when there is a sequence (an) in D "without" {a} and an→a (→ means goes towards)

The clause "without a" would seem to make things clear. Or not?

There is a slightly difference between an accumulation point of a set ##D##, which your prof defined, and an accumulation point of a sequence ##(a_n)_{n \in \mathbb{N}}##, which you were asking for. I'm not sure whether they have different names in English. I think the accumulation points of sets are called limit points, and those of sequences accumulation or cluster points.

The limit points ##a## of a set are defined as above, or one can say, that every neighborhood of ##a## contains a point of ##D-\{a\}##.

A cluster point or accumulation point of a sequence is a point ##a##, for which there is a subsequence ##(a_{n_k})_{k \in \mathbb{N}} \subseteq (a_n)_{n \in \mathbb{N}}## such that ##\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty}a_{n_k} = a##. This includes constant subsequences.

So both terms are related but not the same.

Likes FactChecker and PeroK
The standard definition for a cluster point is:
  • a is a cluster point for the sequence [itex]\{x_{n}\} [/itex] if [itex] (\forall \epsilon >0)(\forall N)(\exists n>N)(\vert a - x_{n}\vert <\epsilon )[/itex]

TheChemist_ said:

To repeat what fresh_42 said, be alert to the fact your course materials may use similar terminology for two different concepts. It may discuss "accumulation of a set" and also "accumulation point of a sequence".

The definition you gave above is for "accumulation point of a set" even though it mentions a sequence. An alternate definition of "accumulation point of a set" is "any open set (or 'open ball') that contains ##a## contains at least one element of ##D## different from ##a##".

For example, on the real number line, 1 is an accumulation point of the set (0,1).

Notice that if we test the professors definition for accumulation point of a set, we can find the sequence ##a[j] = (j+1)/(j+2)## that contains only numbers in (0,1) and converges to 1 but does not contain 1 as a term of the sequence.

The definition for "accumulation point of a sequence" is a different concept. It's true that the terms in a sequence can be viewed as a set, but a sequence has the additional aspect of having an order of terms and the fact that repeated terms have some significance.

On the real number line, the set of the two numbers ##D = \{-1,1\}## has no accumulation points. (For example you can find the open interval (-3/2, 0) that contains no point of ##D## different that (-1), so (-1) is not an accumulation point of ##D##.

However, (-1) is an accumulation point of the sequence {a} = -1,1,-1,1,-1,... because there exists a subsequence of {a} that converges to (-1) - namely the subsequence -1,-1,-1,... Notice that in the definition for accumulation point of a sequence there is nothing preventing the accumulation point itself from being equal to a term of the sequence.

Stephen Tashi said:
The definition you gave above is for "accumulation point of a set" even though it mentions a sequence. An alternate definition of "accumulation point of a set" is "any open set (or 'open ball') that contains aa contains at least one element of D different from a".
It seems to me that your definition of "accumulation point of a set" is very close to the definition of "a point of closure" of a set (in a metric space).

Svein said:
It seems to me that your definition of "accumulation point of a set" is very close to the definition of "a point of closure" of a set (in a metric space).

The professors definition and my version of it may be equivalent to that definition. I'm not familiar with the terminology "point of closure", but (in the terminology I know) to take the "closure of a set", one forms the union of the set and its "limit points", which are also (I think) called its "accumulation points".

OK. The definitions of open and closed sets in a metric space are.
  • A set O is called open if [itex] (\forall x \in O)(\exists \delta >0)(\forall y: d(y, x)<\delta \Rightarrow y\in O)[/itex]
  • A point z is called a point of closure of a set E if [itex] (\forall \delta >0)(\exists x \in E)(d(z, x)<\delta)[/itex]
  • The collection of all points of closure of a set E is denoted [itex]\bar{E} [/itex]. Thus [itex] E \subset \bar{E}[/itex]

Svein said:
  • A point z is called a point of closure of a set E if [itex] (\forall \delta >0)(\exists x \in E)(d(z, x)<\delta)[/itex]

Let ##E## be ##(0,1) \cup \{2\}##. As I read that definition, ##{2}## is a point of closure of the set ##E## (we can take ##x = 2## because we are not required to make ##z## and ##x## distinct points. ) The closure of the set ##E## is ##[0,1] \cup \{2\}##.

By the professor's or my definition of "accumulation point", ##{2}## is not an accumulation point of ##E##, but the "closure of ##E##" is still ##[0,1] \cup \{2\}##.

Last edited:
Stephen Tashi said:
Let ##E## be ##(0,1) \cup \{2\}##. As I read that definition, ##{2}## is a point of closure of the set ##E## (we can take ##x = 2## because we are not required to make ##z## and ##x## distinct points. ) The closure of the set ##E## is ##[0,1] \cup \{2\}##.

By the professor's or my definition of "accumulation point", ##{2}## is not an accumulation point of ##E##, but the "closure of ##E##" is still ##[0,1] \cup \{2\}##.
Yes. My old book on real analysis (Royden) defines accumulation point:
  • A point x is called an accumulation point of a set E if it is a point of closure of ##E\sim \{x\}## (setwise difference)

Related to Question about Accumulation points

1. What are accumulation points?

Accumulation points, also known as limit points, are points in a set of numbers where every neighborhood of the point contains infinitely many points of the set.

2. How do you find accumulation points?

To find accumulation points, you need to first list out all the elements of the set and then look for patterns or repetitions. Any number that appears more than once in the set can be considered an accumulation point.

3. What is the difference between accumulation points and limit points?

The terms accumulation points and limit points are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference. Accumulation points refer to points in a set where there are infinitely many points in every neighborhood, while limit points refer to points that a sequence approaches as it gets closer to infinity.

4. Can a set have more than one accumulation point?

Yes, a set can have more than one accumulation point. This is because a set can have multiple patterns or repetitions, leading to multiple points where there are infinitely many points in every neighborhood.

5. What is the importance of accumulation points in mathematics?

Accumulation points have significance in various areas of mathematics, including real analysis, topology, and complex analysis. They help us understand the behavior of sequences and sets, and their properties can be used to prove theorems in these fields.