Question about derivative definition

In summary, the quantity \lim_{\delta \to 0} \frac{f(x+g(\delta))-f(x)}{g(\delta)} depends on the function g and can be equal to the definition of derivative for certain values of g, such as g(\delta)=\delta^3. This can be proven by taking the Taylor series of f(x+d^3) and simplifying the resulting equation to f(x). Watching Khan Academy calculus videos may help with understanding this concept.
mnb96
Hello,
considering the definition of derivative, what would the following quantity be equal to?
[tex]\lim_{\delta \to 0} \frac{f(x+g(\delta))-f(x)}{g(\delta)}[/tex]

In this case [itex]g(\delta)[/itex] is a monotonic increasing function such that g(0)=0.
For example we might have [itex]g(\delta)=\delta^3[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the function g. For example, if g(δ)→0 as δ→0, then this limit is just f'(x). If, say, g(δ)=1 for all δ, the limit gives the result of a "difference operator": f(x+1)-f(x).

If you are confused about derivatives in general..All that equation does is tricks the system into finding the tangent of the "original" graph at every single point (f(x) value). If you think about it to find the tangent of a point on an equation, you are basically finding an infinitesimally small secant line between two infinitesimally small changes in the position of the graph. The tangent line at some x value would then be evaluated by substituting that value in the x value of the equation you wrote. But if you keep the x a variable your result is an equation not a single value. The equation you get is actually just the slope of the tangent line at every point of the original function. For example the derivative of the function x^2 is 2x. meaning that in x^2 at x= 3 the slope of the tangent line is going to be some #. The way we can get this number is by substituting 3 into the derivative equation 2x. I would definitely recommend watching the khan academy calculus videos on youtube if you run into any future problems.

Thanks.

I understand the geometrical interpretation on the first derivative. I am still a bit suspicious because I realized I am not able to formally prove that if, for example, [itex]g(\delta)=\delta^3[/itex], the quantity I wrote in the first post is exactly equal to the definition of derivative.

Can anyone help me prove this?

If you take the Taylor series of f(x+d^3) around d=0, you get a formula that looks something like this:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{d^{3n}}{n!} \frac{d^n f(x)}{d x^n}[/tex]

Subtract f(x) from this and divide by d^3 to get the following:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{d^{3n-3}}{n!} \frac{d^n f(x)}{d x^n}[/tex]

Note that n=1 is our starting point here, not n=0. From there, if we expand it out for a bit, we get something like this:

[tex]f'(x) + d^3 f''(x) + d^6 f'''(x) + \dots[/tex]

Taking the limit of this as d goes to zero gives us f(x), thus proving that the equation listed in the OP is the derivative, at least for g(d)=d^3.

Oh so that's what he/she was asking lol

Related to Question about derivative definition

What is the definition of a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

How is the derivative calculated?

The derivative is calculated using the limit definition of a derivative, which involves finding the slope of a secant line between two points on the function and then taking the limit as the distance between those points approaches zero.

What is the difference between the derivative and the integral?

The derivative and the integral are inverse operations, meaning they are related but have opposite effects. The derivative calculates the rate of change of a function, while the integral calculates the area under the curve of a function.

What are some real-life applications of derivatives?

Derivatives have many practical applications, including in physics, economics, and engineering. They can be used to calculate velocity, acceleration, and other rates of change, as well as to optimize functions and solve optimization problems.

Can the derivative of a function be undefined?

Yes, the derivative of a function can be undefined at certain points, such as when the function has a sharp corner or vertical tangent line. This indicates a discontinuity in the function's rate of change at that point.