Question about Electrical Energy

In summary, voltage is electric potential energy, not a measure of potential energy. Voltage and electric potential are properties of the electric field, not of individual charges.
CrazyCrux
I know that energy cannot be created nor destroyed. However, I also know that voltage is basically electrical potential energy. So, how can a transformer exist? In terms of classical mechanics, in order to increase the PE of say, a ball, you must lift it (expending energy) higher above the gravitational center of the earth. However, with transformers I don't see any immediate expenditure of energy that would allow such a drastic (200V to 15kV) increase in potential energy. Can someone explain this to me, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good for you to never question conservation of energy. On this planet, energy is always conserved.

Transformers do conserve energy. But the rate of electric energy (which we call power) is V*I, voltage times current, not voltage. Your idea of electric potential as energy is a bit too simplified. Try starting here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_potential
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_energy

A key point, that I think you miss is that if we use a voltmeter to measure the voltage of a transformer, the voltmeter always has two wires. Voltage in an electric circuit is always the difference in potential between two points. The absolute electric potential, plays no role in circuit analysis.

Likes cnh1995 and sophiecentaur
anorlunda said:
Good for you to never question conservation of energy. On this planet, energy is always conserved.

Transformers do conserve energy. But the rate of electric energy (which we call power) is V*I, voltage times current, not voltage. Your idea of electric potential as energy is a bit too simplified. Try starting here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_potential
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_energy

A key point, that I think you miss is that if we use a voltmeter to measure the voltage of a transformer, the voltmeter always has two wires. Voltage in an electric circuit is always the difference in potential between two points. The absolute electric potential, plays no role in circuit analysis.
I think I understand now. Thank you for the explanation.

CrazyCrux said:
However, with transformers I don't see any immediate expenditure of energy that would allow such a drastic (200V to 15kV) increase in potential energy.

Voltage isn't a measure of potential energy, it's a measure of electric potential. Electric potential is a measure of the work required to move a unit of charge from its current position to infinity. Notice that I said "unit of charge". If I place a particle with a charge of three coulombs in an electric field, find its electric potential energy, and then divide out the charge, I no am longer talking about the particle, but about the field. When we give a voltage, we aren't saying that every single charge is given X amount of potential energy. Instead, voltage and electric potential are properties of the field. This allows us to greatly simplify and generalize our analysis of electrical circuits.

In a simple example like a single particle in free space, it's easy to say that voltage and the potential energy of a single particle are related. However, in an electrical circuit, things change drastically. We can't point to any individual charge and say that it will expend X amount of energy. Instead we are talking about the bulk behavior of huge numbers of charges. When the number of charges is something like ##10^{20}##, the particulars of any single particle just don't matter. A charge may accelerate under the influence of the applied field for a short time and then lose all of its energy in a collision with an ion in the conductor. Or it may scatter and lose only some of its energy. Or it might be moving the opposite way as the current flow due to its thermal motion. All of these things can be simplified down thanks to the huge number of charges we're dealing with.

Likes cnh1995 and sophiecentaur

1. What is electrical energy?

Electrical energy is the energy that comes from the flow of electric charge. It is a form of energy that can be converted into other forms, such as light, heat, or mechanical energy.

2. How is electrical energy produced?

Electrical energy is produced through various methods, such as burning fossil fuels in power plants, harnessing the power of water in hydroelectric plants, or using renewable sources like wind and solar power. In all cases, the energy is used to turn turbines that generate electricity.

3. What is the difference between electrical energy and electrical power?

Electrical energy is the total amount of energy that an electrical system possesses, while electrical power is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. In other words, electrical energy is the amount of energy available, and electrical power is the amount of energy used per unit of time.

4. How is electrical energy measured?

The unit of measurement for electrical energy is the watt-hour (Wh). This unit represents the amount of energy used by a device with a power consumption of one watt over the course of one hour. Kilowatt-hours (kWh) are often used for larger electrical systems, such as households or businesses.

5. What are some common uses of electrical energy?

Electrical energy is used in many aspects of our daily lives, from powering our homes and appliances to running factories and transportation systems. It is also essential for communication and technology, such as in the production of computers and smartphones.