Question about expected frequencies within ranges

• Thread starter chuy52506
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequencies
In summary, the conversation is about finding the expected frequency for different ranges of observations, with a given mean and standard deviation. However, it is not possible to calculate the expected value without knowing the exact location of the observations within each range.
chuy52506
Say I have ranges:
(-infinity to 16) where the observed frequency is 35
(16 to 18) where the obs freq is 100
(18 to 20) where the obs.. freq. is 360
(20 to 22) where the obs. freq. is 326
(22 to 24) where the obs. freq. is 150
(24 to infinity) where the obs freq is 29

The mean is 20 and standard deviation is 2

How would i find the expected value of each range?

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone have an idea on how to do this?

i meant to ask how to find the expected frequency not value? sorry

I saw your post on a previous forum - there is no good answer.

yes its possible. I have done it before but forgot the method I used. I was hoping someone knew how to do it.

chuy52506 said:
Say I have ranges:
(-infinity to 16) where the observed frequency is 35
(16 to 18) where the obs freq is 100
If all you know is that there are 100 observations between 16 and 18, but do not know where they they lie, you can't calculate an expected value.

(18 to 20) where the obs.. freq. is 360
(20 to 22) where the obs. freq. is 326
(22 to 24) where the obs. freq. is 150
(24 to infinity) where the obs freq is 29

The mean is 20 and standard deviation is 2

How would i find the expected value of each range?

Related to Question about expected frequencies within ranges

1. What is the importance of understanding expected frequencies within ranges in research?

Understanding expected frequencies within ranges is crucial in research as it helps to determine whether the observed data is within the expected range or if there is a significant deviation. This, in turn, helps to assess the validity and reliability of the results and draw accurate conclusions.

2. How are expected frequencies within ranges calculated?

Expected frequencies within ranges are calculated by multiplying the total number of observations by the probability of the event occurring within a certain range. This provides an estimate of the number of times the event is expected to happen within that range.

3. What is the relationship between expected frequencies within ranges and statistical significance?

Expected frequencies within ranges play a crucial role in determining statistical significance. If the observed data falls within the expected range, it is considered to be not statistically significant. However, if the observed data falls outside the expected range, it is considered to be statistically significant and requires further investigation.

4. How do expected frequencies within ranges differ from observed frequencies?

Expected frequencies within ranges are calculated based on the probability of an event occurring, whereas observed frequencies are the actual number of times the event occurred in the sample. These two values may differ, and any significant deviation between them can indicate an unusual pattern or relationship in the data.

5. Can expected frequencies within ranges be used to predict future outcomes?

Expected frequencies within ranges are based on the observed data and the probability of an event occurring. Therefore, they can be used to make predictions about future outcomes. However, it is important to note that unexpected or rare events may still occur, and the expected frequencies within ranges should not be solely relied upon for predictions.