Question about forum guidelines

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
In summary, Orodruin responded to the user's post with a request for more information before taking any disciplinary action.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I just reported a post for no attempt at any work and no template.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/processors-and-memory.809357/

Orodruin's response to the post was then "Please show us what you have attempted. This is mandatory in the PF homework forums."

Now, I have absolutely no problem w/ that response. It's perfectly reasonable and what we want and I be happy to do exactly that myself when I see a post with no attempt at any work and no template, but I'm trying to follow the forum guidelines as I understand them and report such posts rather than respond to them.

Personally, I would rather just make the post that Orodruin made and be done with it, so it that's OK, please let me know and I'll stop reporting such posts and save the mods the time of bothering w/ that response.

Physics news on Phys.org
So let me explain my reasoning here: This user had made this post before, but in the wrong forum. Thus, this is a repost that has already been deleted and the user notified. Rather than having this new user post the same message a third time, I therefore found it more appropriate to keep the thread but make it clear that it is not appropriate. Apart from this I may or may not have issued an additional warning (I prefer to not discuss individual disciplinary actions in the open forums). Now, clearly it is impossible for you to see all of this without the moderation tools and I think your report was perfectly appropriate. Please continue reporting, your reports are usually very sound and much appreciated.

Also, feel free to tag me in posts like this one. It is the fastest way to get my attention.

Orodruin said:
So let me explain my reasoning here: This user had made this post before, but in the wrong forum. Thus, this is a repost that has already been deleted and the user notified. Rather than having this new user post the same message a third time, I therefore found it more appropriate to keep the thread but make it clear that it is not appropriate. Apart from this I may or may not have issued an additional warning (I prefer to not discuss individual disciplinary actions in the open forums). Now, clearly it is impossible for you to see all of this without the moderation tools and I think your report was perfectly appropriate. Please continue reporting, your reports are usually very sound and much appreciated.

Also, feel free to tag me in posts like this one. It is the fastest way to get my attention.
Ah, that makes good sense. Thanks.

Related to Question about forum guidelines

1. What are the forum guidelines?

The forum guidelines are a set of rules and recommendations that users should follow in order to maintain a respectful and productive online community. These guidelines cover topics such as appropriate behavior, language, and content that is allowed on the forum.

2. Why are forum guidelines important?

Forum guidelines are important because they help to create a safe and welcoming environment for all users. They also ensure that discussions remain on topic and constructive, and prevent any offensive or inappropriate content from being posted.

3. How can I report a violation of the forum guidelines?

If you come across a post or comment that you believe violates the forum guidelines, you can report it to the forum moderators. Most forums have a "Report" or "Flag" button next to each post for this purpose. The moderators will then review the reported content and take appropriate action.

4. Can the forum guidelines be changed?

Yes, the forum guidelines can be changed by the forum moderators or administrators. This may happen if new issues arise or if the current guidelines need to be updated. It is important for users to check the guidelines periodically to ensure they are following the most up-to-date version.

5. What happens if I break a forum guideline?

If you break a forum guideline, the moderators may take action depending on the severity of the violation. This could include a warning, temporary suspension, or even a permanent ban from the forum. It is important to read and follow the guidelines to avoid any consequences.