Question about hint given by the problem related to statistics

• Thread starter songoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, there is a "problem-solving" box that discusses the class boundaries for the 16-25 age group and how they are determined. There is a question about why the class boundaries are 16 and 26 instead of 15.5 and 25.5. The hint suggests using the convention of always rounding down, which would make the boundaries 15 and 25. With this information, it is determined that the oldest person in the 16-25 category could be 25 years and 364 days old. It is then discussed whether this person is closer to 26 or 25 and how this relates to the convention of calling them 25. The text in the pink box clarifies this issue.
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see the picture below
Relevant Equations
None
1619419455262.png

I want to ask about the "problem-solving" box on the right.

I don't understand why the class boundaries for the 16 - 25 group are 16 and 26. If I try to find it using my usual way, it will be 15.5 and 25.5 and the midpoint will be (15.5 + 25.5) / 2 = 20.5

Or if I use the hint "since age is always rounded down", I will take the boundaries to be 15 (rounded from 15.5) and 25 (rounded down from 25.5) and the midpoint will be (15 + 25) / 2 = 20

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What age might the oldest person be in the 16-25 category?

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
What age might the oldest person be in the 16-25 category?
25 years old

songoku said:
25 years old
What does that mean? 25 years exactly? 25 years and a day? Older than that?

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
What does that mean? 25 years exactly? 25 years and a day? Older than that?
I think the oldest would be 25 years and 364 days

songoku said:
I think the oldest would be 25 years and 364 days
If you were thinking mathematically would you say that person is much nearer to 26 than 25? And that using the common convention of calling them 25 is mathematically inaccurate?

Isn't that precsiely what the text in the pink box is telling you?

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
If you were thinking mathematically would you say that person is much nearer to 26 than 25? And that using the common convention of calling them 25 is mathematically inaccurate?

Isn't that precsiely what the text in the pink box is telling you?
Ah, I misunderstood the meaning.

Thank you very much PeroK

1. What is a hint in statistics?

A hint in statistics is a piece of information or clue that can help guide you towards finding a solution or understanding a problem. It can be a mathematical formula, a specific data point, or a suggested approach to solving the problem.

2. How can a hint be helpful in solving a statistics problem?

A hint can provide a starting point for solving a problem, especially if you are unsure of how to approach it. It can also help you identify key information or relationships within the data that may be crucial for finding a solution.

3. Can a hint be misleading in statistics?

Yes, a hint can sometimes be misleading if it is not used correctly or if it is based on incorrect assumptions. It is important to carefully evaluate any hints given and use them in conjunction with your own knowledge and understanding of statistics.

4. Where can I find hints for statistics problems?

Hints for statistics problems can be found in textbooks, online resources, or from your instructor or peers. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different statistical concepts and techniques to develop your own problem-solving skills.

5. Are hints always necessary for solving statistics problems?

No, hints are not always necessary for solving statistics problems. Some problems may be straightforward and require only basic knowledge and understanding of statistics. However, hints can be useful for more complex problems or when you are stuck and need some guidance.