Question about Molecule Polarity

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of different types of polymers (wool, cotton, and nylon) and their potential interactions with methyl orange molecules. The problem at hand is to predict the relative color intensity of methyl orange on each polymer, from least to greatest. Based on the hypothesis that a H-N bond is less polar than a H-O bond, it is suggested that the color intensity of cotton will be greater than that of nylon. However, the role of amino acids in wool and their potential for forming more electronegative/polar hydrogen bonds remains unclear. The person seeking help is unsure how to solve the problem and is seeking further guidance and clarification.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

I have a methyl orange molecule.

Then my problem says that "wool is a protein, a naturally occurring polymer made up of amino acids with ionized side chains. cotton is a naturally occurring polymer made up of glucose units with hydrophillic groups surrounding each glucose unit. nylon is a synthetic polymer made of hydrocarbon repeating chains joined together by highly polar amide groups."

Using this hypothesis, predict the relative color intensity that would be produced by methyl orange on cotton, nylon, and wool from least to greatest.

Homework Equations

no equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So I believe that a H-N bond is less polar than H-O bond, so the hydrogen bonding caused by nylon's amide groups will be weaker than that caused by the glucose's hydrophillic groups. So I believe that the color intensity of cotton > that of nylon.

However, I am confused as to whether amino acids in wool will form more electronegative/polar hydrogen bonds than cotton does and how to rank them.

Please advise on how to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance. Anything is appreciated!

I honestly do not have any new information and/or conclusions. Sorry..

What is molecule polarity?

Molecule polarity refers to the unequal distribution of electron density within a molecule, resulting in a molecule having a positive and negative end or pole. This is due to differences in electronegativity between atoms within the molecule.

How is molecule polarity determined?

Molecule polarity is determined by the difference in electronegativity between atoms within the molecule. If the difference is large, the molecule will be polar. If the difference is small or non-existent, the molecule will be nonpolar.

What is the significance of molecule polarity?

Molecule polarity plays a crucial role in determining the physical and chemical properties of a substance. It affects things like solubility, boiling and melting points, and intermolecular forces, all of which are important in understanding how substances behave in different environments.

How do you determine if a molecule is polar or nonpolar?

To determine if a molecule is polar or nonpolar, you can use the electronegativity values of the atoms involved. If the difference in electronegativity is less than 0.5, the molecule is nonpolar. If the difference is between 0.5 and 1.7, the molecule is polar. If the difference is greater than 1.7, the molecule is ionic.

Can a molecule have both polar and nonpolar bonds?

Yes, a molecule can have both polar and nonpolar bonds. This occurs when there are different types of bonds within the molecule, such as a polar covalent bond and a nonpolar covalent bond. In this case, the overall polarity of the molecule will depend on the net vector sum of the individual bond polarities.