Question about the Butler-Volmer equation in electrochemistry

In summary, Bard & Faulkner states that the current given by the Butler-Volmer equation is related to the overpotential ##\eta##, which is determined by the equilibrium potential ##E_{eq}## and the applied potential ##E_{app}##. The equilibrium potential depends on the initial bulk concentration of products and reactants, and for reactions like water electrolysis, this means that the required potential for the reaction to proceed is lower than the formal potential due to the presence of other ions in the solution. However, for reactions where there are no initial products present, such as the chlorine redox reaction, determining the equilibrium potential becomes more complicated. One possible solution is to consider the limiting system that would jump in and affect
Dishsoap
Homework Statement
Not an actual homework question, but as a physicist learning about electrochemistry I feel it is about that level.

My question is, how do I calculate the equilibrium potential ##E_{eq}## of an electrode in a fluid with no initial concentration of products?
Relevant Equations
(also pasting in main text in case LaTex doesn't work here)

##i\propto \frac{C_R(0,t)}{C_R^*}e^{(1-\alpha)f \eta}##
##\eta = E-E_{eq}##
##E_{eq}=E^{0'}+\frac{RT}{F}ln(\frac{C_O^*}{C_R^*})##
I am reading Bard & Faulkner, who states that the current given by the Butler-Volmer equation is related to the overpotential ##\eta##, which is the ##\eta=E_{app}-E^0-E_{eq}##. The equilibrium potential depends strongly on the initial bulk concentration of products and reactants, ##E_{eq}=E^{0'}+\frac{RT}{F}ln(\frac{C_O^*}{C_R^*})##.Eapp.

This makes sense for e.g. the water electrolysis reaction, and says that the potential needed for the reaction to proceed is around 0.8V at neutral pH instead of the formal potential of 1.3V due to the presence of ##H^+## in the solution.

However, what about reactions where there is no product in the fluid initially? For instance, the chlorine redox reaction ##2Cl^- -> 2e^- + Cl_2(g)##. If there is no chlorine in the fluid to begin with, how does one write down the equilibrium potential?

My first thought is that in the logarithm for ##E_{eq}##, either ##C_O^*## or ##C_R^*## would be zero depending on which direction the reaction would proceed. However, the logarithm of zero is undefined. How does one proceed?

I just want to figure out at what electrode potential I should expect to begin performing the redox reaction on Cl- ions in the fluid.

Thank you everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
When there is no products from one system some other system jumps in (plenty of these) and limits the potential. If there is no Cl2 O2 is everywhere.

1. What is the Butler-Volmer equation and what does it represent?

The Butler-Volmer equation is a mathematical equation used in electrochemistry to describe the relationship between the rate of an electrochemical reaction and the applied potential. It represents the exchange current density, which is the rate at which the forward and reverse reactions occur at equilibrium.

2. How is the Butler-Volmer equation derived?

The Butler-Volmer equation is derived from the fundamental principles of thermodynamics and kinetics. It takes into account the activation energy, reaction rate constants, and the concentration of reactants and products in the electrochemical system.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Butler-Volmer equation?

The Butler-Volmer equation assumes that the electrochemical reaction is a two-step process, with a forward and reverse reaction. It also assumes that the reaction is under steady-state conditions and that the rate of the reaction is controlled by the activation energy.

4. How is the Butler-Volmer equation used in practical applications?

The Butler-Volmer equation is used to determine the kinetics of electrochemical reactions, such as corrosion and electrodeposition. It is also used to design and optimize electrochemical systems, such as batteries and fuel cells, by predicting the behavior of the system under different operating conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Butler-Volmer equation?

Yes, the Butler-Volmer equation is limited in its applicability to certain electrochemical systems. It assumes that the reaction is reversible and that the reaction rate is controlled by the activation energy. It also does not take into account any mass transport limitations or non-ideal behavior in the system.

Back