Question about the Zeroth law of thermodynamics and Equlibrium

MatinSAR
TL;DR Summary
Question about zero law of thermodynamics and equilibrium
I know that if 2 systems A and B are in equilibrium their coordinates doesn't change. Systems are not complicated and be fully described using two separated coordinates X and Y.

What will happen if I seprate them using an adiabatic wall? Their coordinates start to change but I cannot understand why.

Science news on Phys.org
I don't understand your use of the word "coordinates" here. Can you expand?

Likes MatinSAR
DrClaude said:
I don't understand your use of the word "coordinates" here. Can you expand?
I've read about them in "Heat and Thermodynamics by M. W. Zemansky".
By coordinates I meant quantities that describe a state of a system like: Temperature, Pressure, Volume.

1700219549454.png

Edit : Adding a picture of the book.

Last edited:
Likes Dale
Interesting, I know these as 'state variables', not coordinates.

If you separate two systems that are at first in equilibrium, then their state may or may not drift away from each other. This depends entirely on the surroundings they are in. If there is a net flow of mass or energy over the surface by which you separate the system, then this energy or mass flow stops after the separation. This will then influence the state of both systems, and their respective states will likely drift away from each other.

Likes DrClaude and MatinSAR
Arjan82 said:
If you separate two systems that are at first in equilibrium, then their state may or may not drift away from each other. This depends entirely on the surroundings they are in.
I understand ... Thank you.

1. What is the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics?

The Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics states that if two systems are each in thermal equilibrium with a third system, then they are in thermal equilibrium with each other. This law establishes the concept of temperature and allows us to define a temperature scale.

2. How does the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics relate to equilibrium?

The Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics is closely related to equilibrium because it defines when two systems are in thermal equilibrium with each other. This means that there is no net flow of heat between the two systems, and their temperatures are equal.

3. Why is the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics important?

The Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics is important because it allows us to define the concept of temperature and establish a temperature scale. It also helps us determine when systems are in thermal equilibrium with each other, which is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems.

4. How does the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics affect the study of thermodynamics?

The Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics is fundamental to the study of thermodynamics because it provides a basis for defining temperature and understanding thermal equilibrium. Without this law, it would be impossible to develop the concepts and principles that form the foundation of thermodynamics.

5. Can you give an example of how the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics is applied in real life?

One common example of the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics in real life is using a thermometer to measure body temperature. When the thermometer is in thermal equilibrium with the body, the temperature reading gives an accurate measure of the body's temperature. This application demonstrates the principle of thermal equilibrium as defined by the Zeroth Law of Thermodynamics.