Question about vapor pressure....

In summary: However, if the pressure is above the critical pressure, the water could still exist as liquid even at temperatures above the critical temperature.In summary, if water is enclosed and sealed within a noncombustible substance and heated to high temperatures, it will eventually turn into a gas. At a temperature of 10K, it will no longer be considered liquid water. If there is extra room for the water to vaporize, it may create steam even at lower temperatures. However, once the temperature exceeds the critical temperature of water, it will be considered a gas. The critical temperature of water is the highest temperature at which a gas can be liquefied.
matt schwartz
A QUESTION. Suppose I enclose water within a large noncombustible substance, say a block of concrete. The water is completely enclosed and sealed = no way for it to escape. Now, I heat the block. I get it very hot. At any temperature I can raise it to, will it still be just water at the ambient temperature? Suppose I could raise it to some enormous temperature, 10K, would it still be just...liquid water? If there was some extra room for the water to vaporize, would it then create steam at that temperature? I assume so! Is there any temperature I could raise it to so it would NOT be liquid water? What would that be?

Physics news on Phys.org
The water will remain a liquid for longer time...but as the temp. is raised it starts converting into a gas,a highly pressurised gas. If the temp. is raised even more then the block holding it would simply break and make way for the escaping gas, as gases tend to love free space.

matt schwartz said:
A QUESTION. Suppose I enclose water within a large noncombustible substance, say a block of concrete. The water is completely enclosed and sealed = no way for it to escape. Now, I heat the block. I get it very hot. At any temperature I can raise it to, will it still be just water at the ambient temperature?
What makes you think it will be at ambient temperature (20 C)?

If the block is rigid and non-porous, as the water becomes heated, it will remain a single phase, but its pressure will get higher.
Suppose I could raise it to some enormous temperature, 10K, would it still be just...liquid water?
At that temperature, it would no longer be considered liquid water (even though it stayed a single phase all the way up to that temperature). Once the temperature exceeded the critical temperature of water, the contents of the block would be considered a "gas."
If there was some extra room for the water to vaporize, would it then create steam at that temperature?
If there was head space to begin with, even at 20 C, there would be water vapor in the head space. Depending on the original proportions of liquid water and water vapor in the block, the water could expand to eliminate the vapor space, or the vapor space could continue to persist even up to temperatures approaching the critical temperature.
Is there any temperature I could raise it to so it would NOT be liquid water? What would that be?
If the temperature is above the critical temperature, no matter how high you increase the pressure, you will not be able to cause the water to condense.

1. What is vapor pressure?

Vapor pressure is the pressure exerted by a vapor in thermodynamic equilibrium with its condensed phases (solid or liquid) at a given temperature in a closed system.

2. How is vapor pressure measured?

Vapor pressure can be measured using specialized equipment such as a vapor pressure analyzer or a transpiration method. In simpler terms, it is the pressure of the vapor that is measured when a liquid is placed in a closed container.

3. What factors affect vapor pressure?

Vapor pressure is affected by temperature, atmospheric pressure, and the type of substance. Generally, higher temperatures and lower atmospheric pressures lead to higher vapor pressures, while the type of substance can also play a role in determining the vapor pressure.

4. Why is vapor pressure important?

Understanding vapor pressure is important in various fields such as chemistry, meteorology, and engineering. It plays a crucial role in determining the volatility and evaporation rate of substances, as well as in predicting weather patterns and designing equipment that can withstand high vapor pressures.

5. How does vapor pressure relate to boiling point?

Vapor pressure and boiling point are inversely related. As the vapor pressure of a substance increases, its boiling point decreases. This is because when the vapor pressure of a liquid equals the atmospheric pressure, it will start to boil and convert into a gas.