Question about work energy theorem

In summary, the work energy theorem states that the change in kinetic energy of an object is equal to the net work done on that object. In the case of walking up stairs at a constant velocity, the net work done on the entire body is negative, while the net work done on just the head is zero. This is because the net work is the sum of two numbers: the work done by the upward force of the stairs on the feet and the work done on various body parts by gravity. The work done on the head is also the sum of two numbers: the work done by the upward force of the neck and the work done by gravity. However, in the case of rotating or non-rigid bodies, the net work is not
blueblast
Hello,

I am confused about the work energy theorem.

If someone goes up the stairs at a constant velocity, is work being done on the person? After all, Wnet = change in kinetic energy, and that change is zero.

This is the original problem that I am trying to solve, from David Morin's Problems and Solutions in Introductory Mechanics:

Fill in the blanks: If you walk up some stairs at constant speed, the net work done of your entire body(during some specific time interval) is ______, and the net work done on just your head is ______

a) negative, zero
b) zero, zero
c) zero, positive
d) positive, zero
e) positive, positive

The answer is A, which I do not understand; I thought the change in kinetic energy on the body would be zero, not negative. Why is this? And also, why is the work on the head zero?

Thanks,

blueblast

Physics news on Phys.org
blueblast said:
The answer is A, which I do not understand; I thought the change in kinetic energy on the body would be zero, not negative. Why is this? And also, why is the work on the head zero?
The "net work" on the entire body is the sum of two numbers. One is the work being done on the feet by the upward force of the stairs. The other is the work being done on the various body parts by gravity.

The "net work" on the head is the sum of two numbers. One is the work being done on the head by the upward force of the neck. The other is the work being done on the head by gravity.

The "net work" (the sum of the individual works done on each component of the system) is not always equal to the "center of mass work" (net force times center of mass displacement) in the case of rotating or non-rigid bodies. The human body is non-rigid.

The work energy theorem in the form you have invoked it relates the change in kinetic energy of the body as a whole to the center-of-mass work done on that body. Unfortunately, as above, center of mass work is not the same thing as net work.

Likes blueblast

1. What is the work energy theorem?

The work energy theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

2. How does the work energy theorem relate to force and motion?

The work energy theorem explains the relationship between force and motion by stating that when a force is applied to an object, it does work on the object, causing a change in its kinetic energy.

3. Can you give an example of the work energy theorem in action?

One example of the work energy theorem is when a person lifts a box off the ground. The person applies a force to the box, doing work on it, and the box gains kinetic energy as it moves upward.

4. Are there any limitations to the work energy theorem?

The work energy theorem is based on the assumption that there are no non-conservative forces, such as friction or air resistance, acting on the object. In real-world situations, these forces may exist and can affect the accuracy of the theorem.

5. How is the work energy theorem used in practical applications?

The work energy theorem is used in many practical applications, such as calculating the efficiency of machines, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and designing roller coasters. It is also an important concept in the study of thermodynamics and energy conservation.