Question on basic trig substitution with x = sin theta

In summary, substituting x = cos theta instead of sin theta on the unit circle does not change the result of the integral.
RoboNerd
Say I have the integral of [ 1 / ( sqrt( 1 - x^2) ] * dx . Now I was told by many people in videos that I substitute x = sin theta, and this has me confused.

Wouldn't I need to substitute x = cos theta instead? as x = cos theta on the unit circle instead of sin theta?

Thanks in advance for your input! I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It really does not matter. The substitution in itself has nothing to do with x being the x coordinate of the unit circle, it is just the name of a new integration variable. You can call it whatever you want, x, y, t, or ##\xi##, it is all the same.

Likes member 587159
RoboNerd said:
Say I have the integral of [ 1 / ( sqrt( 1 - x^2) ] * dx . Now I was told by many people in videos that I substitute x = sin theta, and this has me confused.

Wouldn't I need to substitute x = cos theta instead? as x = cos theta on the unit circle instead of sin theta?

Thanks in advance for your input! I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Orodruin's reply is a very good one. The only thing you use is the identity cos^2x + sin^2x = 1, so you can substitute both cos(t) or sin(t) for x.

why is that even possible?

I was watching an MIT Opencourseware lecture and the professor explicitly said that the trig substitutions are tied with x=cos theta and y = sin theta on the unit circle.

The lecture is at:

Thanks for your input.

Math_QED said:
Orodruin's reply is a very good one. The only thing you use is the identity cos^2x + sin^2x = 1, so you can substitute both cos(t) or sin(t) for x.

I understand if I substituted x = 1 - sin^2 x because that rests on the pythagorean identity, but that is obviously not the case.

RoboNerd said:
why is that even possible?
It is just a substitution of variables, you can use any invertible smooth function for this. The only thing is finding a function so that the resulting integral is simpler. This has nothing to do with polar coordinates or parametrising the unit circle - it is just a variable substitution

Do you agree that

$$\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} = \int \frac{dy}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}$$

we just say in this case that x = y, so yes?

but why do they float this idea round? it has to be based off the theory that x = rcos theta

RoboNerd said:
but why do they float this idea round? it has to be based off the theory that x = rcos theta
It has nothing to do with that. It is just a variable substitution.

So how does this variable substitution work, then?

The same way as any variable substitution. If you have an integral
$$
\int_a^b f(x) dx
$$
and introduce a one-to-one function ##x = g(t)##, then
$$
\int_a^b f(x) dx = \int_{g^{-1}(a)}^{g^{-1}(b)} f(g(t)) g'(t) dt.
$$
In your case, ##f(x) = 1/\sqrt{1-x^2}## and ##g(t) = \sin(t)##.

Likes RoboNerd and SammyS
thank you for your help!

What is trig substitution?

Trig substitution is a method used in calculus to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions. It involves replacing a variable in the integral with a trigonometric function.

Why is x replaced with sin theta in this problem?

In this problem, the substitution x = sin theta is used because it helps to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. This substitution is often used when the integral involves a term of the form sqrt(a^2 - x^2).

How do I determine the limits of integration when using trig substitution?

When using trig substitution, the limits of integration must also be changed to correspond with the new variable. This is done by substituting the original limits into the new variable. In this problem, the limits of integration will become theta = 0 and theta = pi/2.

Do I always have to use trig substitution when integrating trigonometric functions?

No, trig substitution is not always necessary when integrating trigonometric functions. It is only used when the integral cannot be solved using other methods such as u-substitution or integration by parts.

What are the advantages of using trig substitution?

Trig substitution can help to simplify integrals and make them easier to solve. It can also be used to solve integrals that cannot be solved using other methods. Additionally, it can be helpful in evaluating integrals involving trigonometric functions with higher powers.