Question on Optical Systems and Lenses

In summary, the conversation was about a small lens with two lenses at the end and the question of whether a similar system could be designed for the same magnification. The speaker measured the object and image with a ruler and light source, but the results were not equal. They wondered if more advanced relations and matrix computation would be necessary due to the existence of thick lenses. However, they are not allowed to break the device and are unsure of the nature and number of lenses inside. The speaker later received new information that the device is composed of 7 lenses and will update their thread accordingly.
phys_hep_81
Hi everybody and very glad to be here.
I am given a small piece of lens which is tightly sealed and there are two lenses at the end and I do not know what is in between.

My question is as follow. If I design a small apparatus of object and get the image then will I be able to design a similar system that gives me the same magnification?
I measured the object and its image with simple ruler and light source and get the magnification by dividing the image length by the size of the object. Based on my poor memory in optics I was expecting to get the same ratio by dividing the distance of the object and the image but these two numbers are not equal.

Do I have to consider more advanced relations and matrix computation perhaps due to the existence of thick lenses?

Again I am not allowed to break the device and I am not sure about the nature and dimension of lenses and the number of lenses inside.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
Sorry guys but I received new information about the device and it is composed of 7 lenses.
I will update my thread to the best possible delay.

1. How do lenses work in optical systems?

Lenses work by refracting or bending light as it passes through them. This refraction causes the light rays to converge or diverge, depending on the shape of the lens. This allows lenses to focus light and create images.

2. What are the different types of lenses used in optical systems?

There are three main types of lenses used in optical systems: convex (or converging) lenses, concave (or diverging) lenses, and compound lenses which combine both convex and concave elements. Each type of lens has different properties and uses in optical systems.

3. How do you calculate the focal length of a lens?

The focal length of a lens is the distance between the lens and the point where light rays converge or appear to converge. It can be calculated using the formula: f = 1/(1/di + 1/do), where f is the focal length, di is the distance between the lens and the image, and do is the distance between the lens and the object.

4. What is the difference between a real and virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point, allowing an image to be projected onto a screen. On the other hand, a virtual image is formed when light rays only appear to be coming from a certain point, and cannot be projected onto a screen. Real images are formed by convex lenses, while virtual images are formed by concave lenses.

5. How are optical systems used in everyday life?

Optical systems are used in a variety of everyday life applications, such as in eyeglasses, cameras, telescopes, microscopes, and projectors. They are also used in medical devices, such as endoscopes and laser eye surgery equipment. Additionally, optical systems are used in communication technology, such as fiber optic cables.