Question on relative humidity 2

In summary, the temperature of a room is 25 degrees Celsius with a relative humidity of 60%. When the temperature is lowered to 15 degrees Celsius, approximately 10% of the water vapor in the room will condense out to reach 100% relative humidity. The ideal gas equation can be used to find the mass of water vapor present in the room and the mass required to saturate the same volume of air, but it is not necessary for solving this problem.
leena19

Homework Statement

The temperature of a room is 25 degree Celsius and its relative humidity (RH) is 60%.If the temperature is lowered to 15 degree Celsius,what fraction of water vapor gets condensed?
Saturated Vapour Pressure(SVP25)at 25 degree celsius = 23.7mmHg
S.V.P.15=12.8mmHg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

RH= (m1/M)*100%
where m1= mass of water vapour present in the room ,at 25 deg celsius
M=mass of water vapour required to saturate the same volume of air

therefore 0.6M=m1

At 15 degrees Celsius,water vapour present in the room gets condensed,so the room is now saturated(m2) and RH is now 100% ?
If so fraction of water vapour condensed = (m1-m2)/m1?
But I don't know how I'm supposed to find m2.

Hope someone can help.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure either, but I find it interesting that you aren't using the information about the vapour pressures in your attempted solution at all. Their presence suggests that they are meant to be used in some way. What if you assumed that the vapour pressure of the water in the room is directly proportional to the amount (or mass) of water that is present in gaseous form? Furthermore, what if you assumed that the constant of proportionality does not change? Under these assumptions, the fractional change in vapour pressure will be the same as the fractional change in amount of water vapour. Can you see why?

Yes(I think?).cause at the same temperature and volume , mass is directly proportional to the pressure?

RH = (pressure of water vapour present in the room(P25)/SVP at 25 degrees celsius)*100%
60/100 = P25/23.7
P25 = 14.22mmHg

Now here comes my problem,
can I use the same relationship to find the partial pressure of saturated water vapour at 15 degree celsius?
Or is this partial pressure equal to the SVP at 15 degrees celsius?
If the latter were true,then the answer would be
=14.22-12.8/14.22
=0.1 ?
don't know but this answer just doesn't feel right

Heres another thread on SVPs i find difficult to understand
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=316332&highlight=vapour+pressure"
In this problem,I'm not sure but I think the OP had used the ideal gas equation,to find the mass of saturated water vapour.
Can we do that?Can we use the ideal gas equation for non-ideal saturated vapour as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don't know how to do this.
Hope someone can help.

Thanx

So the current vapor pressure is (0.6)*(23.7) = 14.22 mmHg. The saturation pressure at 15 C is 12.8 mmHg. So obviously 14.22 - 12.8 = 1.42 mmHg needs to condense out. You just need to find a fraction (or percentage). About 10% of the original vapor content needs to be lost to bring yourself to 100% R.H.

Thank you very much for replying

chriscolose said:
So the current vapor pressure is (0.6)*(23.7) = 14.22 mmHg. The saturation pressure at 15 C is 12.8 mmHg. So obviously 14.22 - 12.8 = 1.42 mmHg needs to condense out. You just need to find a fraction (or percentage). About 10% of the original vapor content needs to be lost to bring yourself to 100% R.H.
OK then the answer is 10%.

I have one more question,
If we were to use the equation ,
RH= (m1/M)*100%
where m1= mass of water vapour present in the room ,at 25 deg celsius
M=mass of water vapour required to saturate the same volume of air
therefore 0.6M=m1

can we use the ideal gas equation to solve this?
SVP25=MrT25 --------(1)
SVP15=M2rT15----(2)
where m2 is the mass of saturated vapour at 15 degrees C and r the gas constant.

1. What is relative humidity?

Relative humidity is a measure of the amount of water vapor in the air compared to the maximum amount of water vapor the air can hold at a given temperature. It is expressed as a percentage, with higher percentages indicating that the air is holding more water vapor.

2. How is relative humidity measured?

Relative humidity is typically measured using a device called a hygrometer. This device uses sensors to measure the temperature and water vapor content in the air, and then calculates the relative humidity based on those measurements.

3. Why is relative humidity important?

Relative humidity is important because it can affect our comfort and health. High relative humidity can make us feel hot and sticky, while low relative humidity can cause dry skin and respiratory problems. It can also impact the growth and survival of plants and animals, and affect the weather and climate.

4. What is the ideal relative humidity?

The ideal relative humidity for human comfort is between 30-50%. This range allows for enough moisture in the air to prevent dryness and static electricity, but not so much that it feels too humid. However, the ideal relative humidity can vary depending on personal preferences and the specific climate or environment.

5. How does relative humidity impact indoor air quality?

High relative humidity can contribute to the growth of mold, mildew, and dust mites, which can negatively impact indoor air quality and potentially cause health problems. Low relative humidity can also be a problem, as it can cause the air to feel dry and lead to respiratory issues. Maintaining a balanced relative humidity is important for maintaining good indoor air quality.