Question regarding a sequence proof from a book

In summary: The only difference is that ##a_n## is a sequence that converges to ##\alpha## while ##\alpha + x_n## is a sequence that converges to ##x##.
MathMorlock
I have a Dover edition of Louis Brand's Advanced Calculus: An Introduction to Classical Analysis. I really like this book, but find his proof of limit laws for sequences questionable. He first proves the sum of null sequences is null and that the product of a bounded sequence with a null sequence is null. These proofs are fine, yet he then does this proof.

Suppose ##a_n → α## and ##b_n → β##. Write ##a_n = α + x_n## and ##b_n = β + y_n ## where ##x_n## and ##y_n## are both null sequences. Now
$$
a_n + b_n = \alpha + x_n + \beta+y_n
$$
$$
a_n + b_n -(\alpha+ \beta) = x_n + y_n
$$
We have shown ##a_n + b_n - (α+ β)## is the sum of two null sequences and therefore also null. Hence, $$a_n + b_n \to α + β.$$

Are we really allowed to rewrite a sequence to another one that converges to the same limit, i.e ##a_n = α + x_n##?

Physics news on Phys.org
MathMorlock said:
I have a Dover edition of Louis Brand's Advanced Calculus: An Introduction to Classical Analysis. I really like this book, but find his proof of limit laws for sequences questionable. He first proves the sum of null sequences is null and that the product of a bounded sequence with a null sequence is null. These proofs are fine, yet he then does this proof.

Suppose ##a_n → α## and ##b_n → β##. Write ##a_n = α + x_n## and ##b_n = β + y_n ## where ##x_n## and ##y_n## are both null sequences. Now
$$
a_n + b_n = \alpha + x_n + \beta+y_n
$$
$$
a_n + b_n -(\alpha+ \beta) = x_n + y_n
$$
We have shown ##a_n + b_n - (α+ β)## is the sum of two null sequences and therefore also null. Hence, $$a_n + b_n \to α + β.$$

Are we really allowed to rewrite a sequence to another one that converges to the same limit, i.e ##a_n = α + x_n##?
It's not clear to me what you're trying to say. It's given that ##\{x_n\}## is a null sequence; i.e., ##\lim_{n \to \infty} x_n = 0##. ##a_n## doesn't have to be equal to ##\alpha + x_n##, for every n, but ##\lim_{n \to \infty} a_n = \lim_{n \to \infty} \alpha + x_n## must be true.

MathMorlock said:

Of course not. We can't claim a sequence {a_n} is term-by-term equal to another abitrarily chosen sequence that converges to the same limit. However, that's not what's being done. We define ## x_n ## to be ##x_n = a_n - \alpha##. Then ##x_n## is a null sequence and, by definition, ##x_n + \alpha = a_n##.

MathMorlock said:

You could ask the same about a number. If ##a## and ##\alpha## are numbers, then we know there is a number ##x## such that ##a = \alpha + x##.

In this case, ##a## and ##\alpha + x## represent the same number. Just as ##a_n## and ##\alpha + x_n## represent the same sequence.

1. What is a sequence proof and how is it used in science?

A sequence proof is a type of mathematical proof used to verify the validity of a sequence or series. In science, it is often used to demonstrate the accuracy of a proposed pattern or relationship between a set of data points.

2. How does one construct a sequence proof?

To construct a sequence proof, one must first establish the initial terms of the sequence and then use logical reasoning, such as induction or deduction, to show that the pattern continues to hold for all subsequent terms.

3. What is the importance of using a sequence proof in scientific research?

A sequence proof is important in scientific research as it provides a rigorous and systematic way to test and validate hypotheses and theories. It helps to ensure that the conclusions drawn from a given set of data are reliable and accurate.

4. Can sequence proofs be used in all fields of science?

Yes, sequence proofs can be used in all fields of science where data can be organized into a sequence or series. This includes fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, and earth sciences.

5. Are there any limitations to using sequence proofs in scientific studies?

While sequence proofs are a powerful tool in scientific research, they do have limitations. For example, they may not be applicable to certain types of data or may not account for all variables in a complex system. Additionally, sequence proofs are only as reliable as the data and assumptions used in the proof.