Question regarding Blundell: Concepts in Thermal Physics

In summary: Therefore, the chemical potential for positrons and electrons can be defined in terms of their respective Helmholtz functions instead of the total Helmholtz function. Additionally, the first term in equation (22.58) is a partial derivative of the total Helmholtz function, while the second term is a partial derivative of the constraint function ##N_0-(N_--N_+)##.
WWCY
Hi all, I have an issue with understanding the following passage in the aforementioned book. I have uploaded the relevant passage as an image below. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

The paragraph under equation (22.57) says that the total Helmholtz function ##F## is a sum of Helmholtz functions of both positrons and electrons. This means ##F = F_+ (T,V,N_+) + F_- (T,V,N_-) ##, which I guess means
$$\frac{\partial F_- (T,V,N_+ - N)}{\partial N_-}|_{T,V,N} + \frac{\partial F_+ (T,V,N + N_-)}{\partial N_+}|_{T,V,N} = 0$$
Question 1: How then, do I go from this expression to (22.58), where the first term is a partial derivative of ##F##, and instead of ##N## being kept constant, we keep ##N_+## constant, and where the second term is a partial derivative over ##F## as well?

Question 2: The book then goes on to define the chemical potential for positrons and electrons in (22.59) and (22.60). Why are they not defined in terms of their respective Helmholtz functions instead of the total Helmholtz function? So for example:
$$\frac{\partial F_- (T,V,N_-)}{\partial N_-}|_{T,V} = \mu _-$$
Since the general definition for chemical potential under constant ##T## and ##V## is
$$\frac{\partial F (T,V,N)}{\partial N} |_{T,V} = \mu $$

Edit: Upon more careful reading, I have found out that the answer to question 2 lies in the fact that ##dF =-pdV - SdT + \sum_i \mu _i dN_i## for the multi-species case, which I forgot about. I still can't see how to resolve question 1 though.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Regarding such problems, one can also use the method of undetermined multipliers.

Write for the Helmholtz Function of the electron-positron “gas”:

##F=F(T,V;N_-,N_+)##

The constraint due to charge conservation:

##N_0=N_--N_+=const.##

Define formally a "new" function ##\tilde{F}## where ##λ## is the undetermined multiplier:

##\tilde{F}=F(T,V;N_-,N_+)+λ(N_0-(N_--N_+))##

Search for the minimum of ##\tilde{F}## with respect to variations in ##N_-## and ##N_+##:

##\frac{\partial \tilde{F}}{\partial N_-}|_{N_+}=0## ⇒ ##\frac{\partial F(T,V; N_-,N_+)}{\partial N_-}|_{T,V,N_+}-λ=\mu _--λ=0##

##\frac{\partial \tilde{F}}{\partial N_+}|_{N_-}=0## ⇒ ##\frac{\partial F(T,V; N_-,N_+)}{\partial N_+}|_{T,V,N_-}+λ=\mu_++λ=0##

Eliminating ##λ## gives:

##\mu_-+\mu_+=0##

Likes WWCY

1. What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter at the microscopic level, specifically focusing on the relationship between temperature, heat, and energy.

2. Who is Blundell?

Blundell refers to Keith C. Blundell, a British physicist and author of the textbook "Concepts in Thermal Physics". He is known for his contributions to the field of condensed matter physics and his research on superconductivity.

3. What topics are covered in "Concepts in Thermal Physics"?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics including thermodynamics, kinetic theory, statistical mechanics, and phase transitions. It also includes applications of thermal physics in various fields such as astrophysics, materials science, and engineering.

4. Is "Concepts in Thermal Physics" suitable for beginners?

While the textbook assumes some background knowledge in physics and mathematics, it is designed to be accessible for undergraduate students and can serve as an introduction to thermal physics for beginners.

5. How does thermal physics relate to other branches of physics?

Thermal physics is closely related to other branches of physics such as thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics. It also has applications in various fields including chemistry, engineering, and astronomy.