Question related to Optical Waveguides and power

In summary, for a 2D COMSOL mode analysis of an optical waveguide, the power of the guided mode can be found by using the equation P = I*V or dE/dt with units of Joules per second. The simulations provide the refractive index for each mode solution and plots of the electric or magnetic fields. The power needed is the optical radiant power, not the electrical power, and can be calculated by taking the time-average of the Poynting vector and integrating it over the cross-sectional area of interest. The Poynting vector is equal to the cross product of the electric field vector E and the magnetic field vector H at each point in space.
nordmoon
I am doing a 2D COMSOL mode analysis of an optical waveguide.

The mode analysis shows you the electric/magnetic field and you want to find out the power of the guided mode. How could I do this?

Power is P = I*V or dE/dt with units of Joules per second. In the FEM simulation I have given the wavelength, the dimensions and geometry of my waveguide. I know nothing about the current or voltage... I am missing something here?

Is power the same as electric potential energy? What is the difference?

My simulations give me the refractive index for each mode solutions and plots of the electric or magnetic fields. Shouldn't I just be able to integrate the area of interest? Not sure if that would give the power.

Science news on Phys.org
The power you want is the optical radiant power, not the electrical power. The Poynting vector is the radiant power density and is equal to the cross product of the electric field vector E and the magnetic field vector H at each point in space. If the computational codes present the fields without the time dependence already factored out, you will need to take the time-average of the Poynting vector to get the average energy flux. To get the total power, integrate the time-average Poynting vector over the cross-sectional area of interest (e.g. the output face of the waveguide).

You are correct, thank you. I forgot about the Poynting vector.

1. What is an optical waveguide?

An optical waveguide is a physical structure that guides electromagnetic waves, specifically light, along a certain path. It acts as a channel that allows light to propagate without significant loss or dispersion.

2. What are the different types of optical waveguides?

There are three main types of optical waveguides: single-mode, multimode, and specialty. Single-mode waveguides have a small core diameter and are used for long-distance communication. Multimode waveguides have a larger core diameter and are used for shorter distances. Specialty waveguides, such as photonic crystal fibers and plasmonic waveguides, have unique properties and applications.

3. How are optical waveguides used in communication systems?

Optical waveguides are used in communication systems as a means of transmitting information through light. They are used in fiber optic cables, which are used to transmit data over long distances at high speeds. Optical waveguides are also used in devices such as lasers, sensors, and modulators for various communication applications.

4. What is the concept of power in relation to optical waveguides?

Power in relation to optical waveguides refers to the amount of light energy that can be transmitted through the waveguide. The power of an optical waveguide is dependent on factors such as the material properties, dimensions, and input light source. Higher power levels can result in increased signal strength and better performance in communication systems.

5. How do you calculate the power loss in an optical waveguide?

The power loss in an optical waveguide can be calculated using the formula: Power Loss (dB) = 10 log (Pin/Pout), where Pin is the input power and Pout is the output power. This equation takes into account the attenuation of the waveguide, which is caused by factors such as scattering, absorption, and bending losses.