Questions about a spring and its principle

In summary, there is confusion about when to use the formula 1/2ke2 for calculating the work done on a spring. The energy conservation theorem and the graphical method of finding work done give different answers, but this is because they are solving different problems. It is also recommended to have a basic understanding of calculus for better comprehension of these concepts.
Sangari Indiraj
Summary: I am confused in when to use 1/2 e squared k

we studied in class that normally, the extension of the spring is directly proportional to the tension applied
and we did this question :
what is the work that has to be done for a spring to have an extension of length e
as the area of the force extension graph gives the work done, we get the formula as 1/2ke2.
but in the next question :
A weightless spring is attached to a ceiling and a weight of 20 N is applied. Here the spring extend for 5cm. Calculate the spring constant.
solution1:
f= ek
k= 20 / 0.05
=400 N m-1
solution 2
according to the energy conservation theorum,
mgh = 1/2 e2 k
20* 0.05=1/2 * 0.05 * 0.05 *k
k=800 N m-1

why am i getting two different answers? It will help if anyone explains. Also please don't use derivatives. I cannot understand them.

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Sangari Indiraj said:
Summary: I am confused in when to use 1/2 e squared k

we studied in class that normally, the extension of the spring is directly proportional to the tension applied
and we did this question :
what is the work that has to be done for a spring to have an extension of length e
as the area of the force extension graph gives the work done, we get the formula as 1/2ke2.
but in the next question :
A weightless spring is attached to a ceiling and a weight of 20 N is applied. Here the spring extend for 5cm. Calculate the spring constant.
solution1:
f= ek
k= 20 / 0.05
=400 N m-1
solution 2
according to the energy conservation theorum,
mgh = 1/2 e2 k
20* 0.05=1/2 * 0.05 * 0.05 *k
k=800 N m-1

why am i getting two different answers? It will help if anyone explains. Also please don't use derivatives. I cannot understand them.
Your energy conservation equation implies that we are going to drop the mass. So the spring length e is going to be longer than its equilibrium length. When the mass is just hanging then the forces cancel out and you have the equilibrium length of the spring. The two problems are different.

-Dan

Likes PeroK
... if you drop the mass, then it will oscillate under simple harmonic motion. The mass will in fact have its maximum speed, hence maximum KE, at the equilibrium point. When it has zero velocity, it will have fallen twice as far.

If you lower the mass into the equilibrium position, then you have an additional external force doing negative work on the system- in order to stop the mass accelerating under gravity.

Likes topsquark
Sangari Indiraj said:
Also please don't use derivatives. I cannot understand them.
Perhaps it would be better to spend your time getting to grips with fairly elementary Calculus. You could then have the answer to your question (and many other basic questions), all on a plate.
This link shows an easy graphical method to show where the 'half' factor comes from. This diagram is explained fairly well in the link.
1664791875761.png

Visualise stretching the spring a tiny bit at a time. The force will not change noticeably so the work done will be kx times the small stretch Δx. The total work done will be the sum of all those small stretches, which is represented by the shaded part of the triangle. Area is half base times height.

Likes malawi_glenn
same graph as above, but imagine there was a constant average force instead stretching the spring x. This average force would be kx/2 and the work done would be kx2/2.
You are probably familiar with this method in finding the distance traveled when you have constant acceleration.

Likes topsquark
malawi_glenn said:
same graph as above, but imagine there was a constant average force instead stretching the spring x. This average force would be kx/2 and the work done would be kx2/2.
I don't think you actually meant that. The force to keep the spring at x would be kx (not half). If that force were applied over a distance x then the work would be kx2. That's twice as much as if the force is build up gradually.

Likes Sangari Indiraj and topsquark
malawi_glenn said:
You are probably familiar with this method in finding the distance traveled when you have constant acceleration.
I used to have terrible problems with that until I stopped thinking of a practical car engine. No one stressed the 'constant acceleration' enough to get through my thick skull.

Likes topsquark and malawi_glenn
sophiecentaur said:
I don't think you actually meant that. The force to keep the spring at x would be kx (not half). If that force were applied over a distance x then the work would be kx2. That's twice as much as if the force is build up gradually.

1664802285114.png

1664802409168.png

Likes topsquark
sophiecentaur said:
thankyou this is where am confused.

What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle that states the force required to stretch or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. This relationship is known as the spring constant.

What is the purpose of a spring?

Springs are commonly used in various applications to store and release energy. They can also be used to absorb shock or vibrations, and to create tension or resistance in mechanical systems.

How does a spring work?

Springs work by storing potential energy when they are stretched or compressed. When the force is removed, the spring will return to its original shape, releasing the stored energy.

What factors affect the behavior of a spring?

The behavior of a spring is affected by its material, length, thickness, and number of coils. The amount of force applied to the spring also plays a role in its behavior.

How is the spring constant calculated?

The spring constant, also known as the spring stiffness, can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. It is represented by the letter k and has the unit of Newtons per meter (N/m).