Questions about sets and subsets

In summary, to prove that \( X\subseteq Y\) implies \(\overline{Y} \subseteq \overline{X}\), we can use a Venn diagram to visualize the relationship between the two subsets. If \(X\) is a subset of \(Y\), then any element not in \(Y\) must also not be in \(X\), making it a part of \(\overline{X}\). Therefore, \(\overline{Y} \subseteq \overline{X}\).
shle
Hi, the question goes as follows:

Given two subsets X and Y of a universal set U, prove that: (refer to picture)

I'm having particular trouble on D and E, if anyone can clear this up or provide some clarification for me that would be appreciated! I know a venn diagram might not be possible here so just an explanation is ok

Thank you!​

Attachments

• Section218.jpg
    Section218.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 34
Mathematics news on Phys.org
shle said:
Hi, the question goes as follows:

Given two subsets X and Y of a universal set U, prove that: (refer to picture)

I'm having particular trouble on D and E, if anyone can clear this up or provide some clarification for me that would be appreciated! I know a venn diagram might not be possible here so just an explanation is ok

Thank you!​

d) Show that \( X\subseteq Y\) implies \(\overline{Y} \subseteq \overline{X}\)

Other than the Venn diagram where the region representing \(X\) is inside that representin \(Y\) so that the coplement of \(Y\) is contained within the complement of \(X\) (You are strongly recomended to draw the diagram), Consider any \(z \not\in Y\), then it is in \(\overline{Y}\), but because \( X\subseteq Y\) it is also not in \(X\), so is in \(\overline{X}\), which proves the result.

CB

Related to Questions about sets and subsets

What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, called elements, that are grouped together according to a specific criteria or property.

What is a subset?

A subset is a set that contains all the elements of another set. In other words, every element in the subset is also an element of the original set.

How do you determine if one set is a subset of another set?

To determine if one set is a subset of another set, you need to check if all the elements of the first set are also present in the second set. If this is true, then the first set is a subset of the second set.

What is the difference between a proper subset and an improper subset?

A proper subset is a subset that contains some, but not all, of the elements of the original set. An improper subset is a subset that contains all the elements of the original set, including the original set itself.

How can you represent sets and subsets visually?

Sets and subsets can be represented visually using Venn diagrams, which use overlapping circles to show the relationship between sets. The elements of each set are represented by points within the circles, and the overlapping region shows the elements that are common to both sets.