Questions related to sufficient statistics and confidence interval

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a sufficient statistic for θ and constructing a confidence interval using the maximum likelihood estimator of θ. The individual has difficulty separating θ from the exponential function in the factorization criterion and is unsure how to use the chi-squared distribution to find the confidence interval.
StudentW

Homework Statement

Suppose X1, X2, ..., Xn constitute a random sample from a population following N(μ,θ) where μ is known.

(a)Find a sufficient statistic for θ.
(b)Use the maximum likelihood estimator of θ to construct a confidence interval for θ with confidence level 1-α.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a), I have tried to use the factorization criterion to find the sufficient statistic for θ but I have difficulty in separating θ from the exponential function as θ is the denominator. Can someone teach me how to get a function that depends on Xi only!

For part (b), the maximum likelihood estimator of θ is (1/n)*Σ(Xi-μ)^2. I am not sure about whether the information that Σ(Xi-μ)^2/θ follows chi square distribution with n degrees of freedom can help us to find the confidence interval! Can someone teach me how to get the confidence interval as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
StudentW said:

Homework Statement

Suppose X1, X2, ..., Xn constitute a random sample from a population following N(μ,θ) where μ is known.

(a)Find a sufficient statistic for θ.
(b)Use the maximum likelihood estimator of θ to construct a confidence interval for θ with confidence level 1-α.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a), I have tried to use the factorization criterion to find the sufficient statistic for θ but I have difficulty in separating θ from the exponential function as θ is the denominator. Can someone teach me how to get a function that depends on Xi only!

For part (b), the maximum likelihood estimator of θ is (1/n)*Σ(Xi-μ)^2. I am not sure about whether the information that Σ(Xi-μ)^2/θ follows chi square distribution with n degrees of freedom can help us to find the confidence interval! Can someone teach me how to get the confidence interval as well?

Use a chi-squared table to find points ##a## and ##b## such that
[tex] P(\chi^2(n) \leq a) = \frac{\alpha}{2}, \; P(\chi^2(n) \geq b) = \frac{\alpha}{2}[/tex]
Thus
[tex] P\left( a \leq \frac{\sum(X_i - \mu)^2}{\theta} \leq b \right) = 1 - \alpha.[/tex]
Now turn that into a ##1-\alpha## probability statement about ##\theta##.

1. What is a sufficient statistic?

A sufficient statistic is a function of a sample that contains all the information needed to estimate a population parameter. In other words, it summarizes the data in a way that allows for the most accurate estimation of a parameter.

2. How is a sufficient statistic related to a confidence interval?

A sufficient statistic is used to calculate a confidence interval, as it contains all the necessary information to estimate a population parameter with a certain level of confidence. Without a sufficient statistic, it would be difficult to determine the accuracy of a confidence interval.

3. What is the purpose of a confidence interval?

A confidence interval is used to estimate a population parameter with a certain level of confidence. It provides a range of values within which the true parameter is likely to fall, based on a sample of data. This is useful in making inferences about a population using limited information from a sample.

4. How is a confidence interval calculated?

A confidence interval is calculated using a formula that takes into account the sample size, the sample mean, and the standard deviation of the sample. The level of confidence, typically expressed as a percentage, is also factored into the calculation.

5. How is the accuracy of a confidence interval determined?

The accuracy of a confidence interval is determined by the level of confidence and the size of the sample. A higher level of confidence will result in a wider interval, while a larger sample size will result in a more precise estimate and a narrower interval.