Quick help How much acid do I need to add?

• Thread starter Endlicheri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the conversation covers various chemistry questions. Q1 discusses the calculation of the amount of 6M HCl needed to neutralize and acidify a reaction mixture containing 1g Benzaldehyde and 2mL 10M KOH. Q2 talks about the yields and masses of products in a reaction involving acetophenone. Q3 involves the preparation and reaction of cyclohexylmagnesium bromine with butanone, and the calculation of the mass of cyclohexane and maximum theoretical yield of tertiary alcohol in the reaction. Additional information and equations are needed for a complete understanding of the questions.
Endlicheri
Chemistry questions

Q1: Calculate the amount of 6M HCl that would be required to neutralize and acidify (to ~pH2) the reaction mixture of 1g Benzaldehyde and 2mL 10M KOH.
I think this is the chemical equation:
Benzaldehyde + KOH + H+ -> Benzyl Alcohol + Benzoic Acid

Q2: 64% yield of 1,1 - diphenylethanol and a 16% yield of biphenyl is isolated from the complete reaction of 1.70g of acetophenone. Determine the masses of the two products. Also, why is there biphenyl in the product?

Q3: In the reaction of cyclohexylmagnesium bromine with butanone, the Grignard reagent was prepared from 6.0g of cyclohexyl bromide and was then treated with a solution of 3.9g butanone in 25mL of "wet " diethyl ether (the ether contains 1.0% of water (by mass)).
i. Calculate the mass of cyclohexane that would be produced
ii. Calculate the max. theoretical yield (in grams) of tertiary alcohol (corrected for loss due to cyclohexane formation).

THANKS!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Q1) Write the reaction as two separate reactions. One for the Cannizzaro reaction and one for the neutralization. You will need to know the pKa of benzoic acid for this answer.

Q2) Unclear. Complete reaction between acetophenone and what? Is there a catalyst present?

Q3) Write down the equations of the reaction between to produce the grignard. Also the equations for reaction of the grignard with water and butanone.

I am happy to assist with your questions. In order to accurately answer your questions, I would need more information about the specific experiment and reaction conditions. Can you provide more details, such as the temperature, pressure, and any other reactants or catalysts used? This information is necessary to accurately calculate the amount of acid needed, the masses of the products, and the theoretical yield. Please also provide any relevant equations or data that you have already used in your calculations. Thank you.

1. How do I calculate the amount of acid needed?

The amount of acid needed depends on the concentration of the acid solution and the desired pH of the solution. You can use a formula, such as the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, to calculate the amount of acid needed.

2. Can I use any type of acid for my experiment?

It is important to use the specific type of acid that is recommended for your experiment or procedure. Different acids have different properties and may not produce the desired results if used interchangeably.

3. Is there a specific order in which I should add the acid?

In general, it is best to add the acid slowly and in small increments, while continuously monitoring the pH of the solution. This will allow you to make adjustments as needed and prevent over-acidification.

4. How do I know when I have added enough acid?

The amount of acid needed to reach the desired pH will vary depending on the starting pH of the solution and the strength of the acid. It is important to monitor the pH of the solution as you add the acid and stop when you reach the desired pH.

5. What safety precautions should I take when working with acid?

Acids can be corrosive and potentially harmful if not handled properly. Always wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and work in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to properly dispose of any acid waste after use.