Quick question - Christoffel Symbol Transformation Law

In summary: So if \Gamma^\mu_{x_i} is a vector in x, then \Gamma^\mu_{\nu\rho} is a vector in \partial_\mu. Similarly, if \Gamma^\mu_{x_j} is a vector in x, then \Gamma^\mu_{\nu\rho} is a vector in \partial_\mu^\mathrm{dir}. You can also think of \Gamma^\mu_{\nu\rho} as a vector in \partial_\mu\times\partial_\rho.Now, let's consider the Christoffel symbols. Let \Gamma^\mu_{j}
osnarf
Hey everyone,

This formula was just provided in a book and I was trying to prove it but I'm having a hard time understanding what it's saying. The formula is attached, along with the definitions given for the Christoffel symbols. In the definitions the i's are the standard basis vectors and the x's are the coordinates associated with them.

I've been playing with it for a while and can't figure out what each symbol is supposed to mean in the context of the formula.

Just to make it easier to type, in this context does a symbol of the first kind [i j, k] with a bar over it mean

[itex]\frac{\partial^{2}\vartheta^{m}}{\partial\overline{\vartheta}^{i}\partial\overline{\vartheta}^{j}}[/itex]*[itex]\frac{\partial\vartheta^{m}}{\partial\overline{\vartheta}^{k}}[/itex],

or does it mean the same but with the thetas on top replaced with the standard basis coordinates?

The same question goes for the first order symbol with no bar, would this be the same as defined in the picture (w/r/t the standard basis), or is it the same as the Tex above but with the bars moved from the thetas on bottom to the thetas on top?

Thanks, your help is very appreciated.

edit - no idea why that one theta won't show up, sorry

Attachments

• IMAG0178.jpg
    IMAG0178.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 730
  • IMAG0179.jpg
    IMAG0179.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 819
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
osnarf said:
edit - no idea why that one theta won't show up, sorry
I don't have time to think about the actual question right now, so I'll just quickly answer this. When you type 50 characters without a space, vBulletin will insert a space, and this will often break your code.

Ah awesome, thanks. I never use the Tex because it always did that and I couldn't figure out why. Good to know.

Still haven't figured it out by the way, if anybody can explain it.

Thanks again

Alright, I think I got it. Along the way I had this:

[itex]
\overline{\Gamma}^{m}_{r s}

= \frac{\partial^{2}\vartheta^{n}}{ \partial\overline{\vartheta}^{r}\partial\overline{\vartheta}^{s}} \frac{\partial\overline{\vartheta}^{m} }{\partial\vartheta^{n}} + \Gamma^{n}_{n q} \frac{\partial\vartheta^{q} }{\partial\overline{\vartheta}^{s} } \delta^{m}_{r}

= \frac{\partial^{2}x^{z} }{\partial\overline{\vartheta}^{r }\partial\overline{\vartheta}^{s }} \frac{\partial\overline{\vartheta}^{m }}{\partial x^{z}}
[/itex]

So my questions are:

-Are the symbols always defined in some arbitrary variables with respect to the standard basis coordinates (like on the far right), or can they be derived completely in arbitrary coordinates?

-Is how I have it correct: you can define the symbol just as you would on the right, but with respect to some other arbitrary coordinates instead of the standard ones, if one of the lower indices is the same as the raised one?

-Is there more significance to the symbols, or is it just a convenient way to write something you see over and over? I feel like I am missing the point..

Thanks again

--

Edit - Also, thanks again Fredrik. That was definitely what was happening.

Last edited:
I haven't really tried to understand what your book is doing. I will just describe how I'm used to thinking about these things. (I'm leaving out some details about domains and stuff, so this is a bit non-rigorous). Let V be the set of smooth vector fields on a manifold M. A connection is map [itex](X,Y)\mapsto \nabla_XY[/itex] from V×V into V that satisfies a few conditions that you can look up if you're interested. Let x be an arbitrary coordinate system, and let [itex]\partial_\mu[/itex] be the [itex]\mu[/itex]th basis vector associated with x. Then we define [itex]\Gamma^\mu_{\nu\rho}[/itex] in this coordinate system by [tex]\nabla_{\partial_\nu}\partial_\rho =\Gamma^\mu_{\nu\rho}\partial_\mu.[/tex]

1. What is the Christoffel symbol transformation law?

The Christoffel symbol transformation law is a mathematical formula used in differential geometry to convert between coordinate systems. It is used to calculate the change in Christoffel symbols, which are tensors that describe the curvature of a manifold, when switching between different coordinate systems.

2. Why is the Christoffel symbol transformation law important?

The Christoffel symbol transformation law is crucial in understanding the geometry of curved spaces. It allows us to understand how the curvature of a manifold changes when we switch between different coordinate systems, which is important in many fields of physics and mathematics.

3. How is the Christoffel symbol transformation law derived?

The Christoffel symbol transformation law is derived from the definition of the Christoffel symbols and the transformation rules for tensors. It involves using the chain rule and the product rule to calculate the change in Christoffel symbols when switching between different coordinate systems.

4. Can the Christoffel symbol transformation law be applied to any coordinate system?

Yes, the Christoffel symbol transformation law can be applied to any coordinate system, as long as the coordinates are smooth and the transformation between them is well-defined. This includes both Cartesian and non-Cartesian coordinate systems.

5. How is the Christoffel symbol transformation law used in practical applications?

The Christoffel symbol transformation law is used in various fields of physics and mathematics, such as general relativity, differential geometry, and mechanics. It is used to calculate the equations of motion for particles moving in curved spaces and to understand the behavior of light in gravitational fields.