Radar Reflection: Charged vs Non-Charged Objects

In summary, the conversation explores the question of whether the reflectivity of radar is affected by the charge of an object. The consensus is that in most cases, charge does not have a significant impact on radar reflection, but in extreme cases of high charge or large plasmas, there may be some effect. The context of the question is likely related to practical situations involving radar, potentially involving lightning or the concept of a "cloaking device." It is important to clarify the specifics of the question before attempting to answer it.
faiello
A question I’ve been trying to figure out for the last 5 years with a friend of mine:

Would the radar reflection from an object be different if the object is charged or not charged?

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

faiello said:
Summary:: Does charge affect the reflectivity of radar?

A question I’ve been trying to figure out for the last 5 years with a friend of mine:

Would the radar reflection from an object be different if the object is charged or not charged?
Not for any reason that I can think of. Do you have a reason to believe it would?

For classical electromagnetism, you will want to learn about superposition early on in your studies.

Unless you have specific concerns about the materials involved, then no.

However, I can imagine that if there is an enormously large amount of charge (more than you're likely to ever see) then yes. If, somehow, you could strip a conductor of all of it's conduction band electrons, then it may act like an insulator. If you could add lots of electrons (like a static charge) to an insulator, then they would interact with the radar EM wave. In the real world, this doesn't happen.

DaveE said:
then it may act like an insulator.
Not just that - it would be charged to millions of GigaVolts so not easy to measure its resistivity.

faiello said:
Summary:: Does charge affect the reflectivity of radar?

Presumably you mean that the object has excess free charges (or not). Radar reflects off of the ionosphere (a plasma), which is one example of your question:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-the-horizon_radar

Likes DaveE and sophiecentaur
Andy Resnick said:
Presumably you mean that the object has excess free charges (or not). Radar reflects off of the ionosphere (a plasma), which is one example of your question:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-the-horizon_radar
However, a plasma is more or less neutrally charged so it's probably more like a conductor than an insulator - there being so many (almost equal numbers of) free electrons and ions around.

I think the question must be mainly about how you can affect the conductivity with an external field.

Perhaps (as usual) we should ask the OP about the context of this question which has almost certainly come out of some practical situation, involving radar. Perhaps involving lightning? Whatever, it would not be straight forward or ideal conditions.

My guess is that prospect of a radar "cloaking device" may be involved.
I would mention that light is in the same spectrum as radar (quite a bit shorter wavelength (##10^4## at least) and I don't know of any visual phenomena directly caused by charging the illuminated object to high potential.

When someone asks an open ended question it can take many posts before the real meat of the question gets revealed.
I often wonder if people imagine we have second sight on PF.

sophiecentaur said:
I often wonder if people imagine we have second sight on PF.
Mixing us up with PsychicsForums. :oldgrumpy:

1. What is radar reflection?

Radar reflection is the process by which electromagnetic waves are bounced off an object and detected by a radar system.

2. What is the difference between charged and non-charged objects in radar reflection?

Charged objects, such as metal surfaces, have a higher radar reflection compared to non-charged objects, such as plastic or wood. This is because charged objects have more free electrons that can interact with the electromagnetic waves.

3. How does radar reflection impact radar detection?

Radar reflection plays a crucial role in radar detection as it allows the radar system to detect and locate objects in its vicinity. The strength of the radar reflection depends on the size, shape, and material of the object, which helps determine its distance and speed.

4. Can radar reflection be manipulated?

Yes, radar reflection can be manipulated by using materials that absorb or deflect electromagnetic waves, such as stealth technology used in military aircraft. Additionally, the shape and size of an object can also be modified to affect its radar reflection.

5. How is radar reflection used in everyday life?

Radar reflection is used in various applications, including weather forecasting, air traffic control, and navigation systems. It is also used in speed guns for traffic enforcement and in automotive safety systems, such as collision avoidance systems.