Radial and tangential components of acceleration

In summary, intrinsic coordinates allow for a more accurate representation of the acceleration vector. They also provide a way to calculate the centripetal and tangential components of the acceleration.
fog37
Hello,
In 2D kinematics, the acceleration vector ##a(t)## can be expressed either in Cartesian coordinates ##a_x## and ##a_y## or in polar coordinates ##r## an ##\theta##. It depends on the problem.
But it is also possible to express the acceleration ##a(t)## in the so called "intrinsic coordinates" using the intrinsic unit vectors ##T## (the tangential vector), ##N## (the normal vector).

The unit vectors ##T## and ##N## form an orthonormal basis. Each vector changes direction as the object travels its trajectory since the vectors from a moving basis. The component of the acceleration along the ##N## vector is called the centripetal component while the component along the ##T## vector is the tangential acceleration, correct?

Can we talk about tangential and centripetal acceleration components even when we express the acceleration vector in polar coordinates? I don't think so since the radial unit vector is not always perpendicular to the trajectory curve. Just checking...

What are the benefits of intrinsic coordinates?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this can be done with cylindrical coordinates. In cylindrical coordinates, the velocity vector is given by $$\mathbf{v}=\frac{dr}{dt}\mathbf{i_r}+r\frac{d\theta}{dt}\mathbf{i_{\theta}}$$From this it follows that the unit vector in the tangential direction is
$$\mathbf{t}=\frac{\mathbf{v}}{|\mathbf{v}|}=\frac{\frac{dr}{dt}\mathbf{i_r}+r\frac{d\theta}{dt}\mathbf{i_{\theta}}}{\sqrt{\left(\frac{dr}{dt}\right)^2+\left(r\frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^2}}$$and the unit vector in the normal direction is:$$\mathbf{n}=\frac{-r\frac{d\theta}{dt}\mathbf{i_r}+\frac{dr}{dt}\mathbf{i_{\theta}}}{\sqrt{\left(\frac{dr}{dt}\right)^2+\left(r\frac{d\theta}{dt}\right)^2}}$$In addition, the acceleration vector is equal to the time derivative of the velocity vector: $$\mathbf{a}=\left[\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}-r\left(\frac{d\theta }{dt}\right)^2\right]\mathbf{i_r}+\left[2\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{d\theta}{dt}+r\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}\right]\mathbf{i_{\theta}}$$
The tangential component of the acceleration is obtained by dotting the acceleration vector with the unit vector in the tangential direction. What do you get when you do this? The centripetal component of the acceleration is obtained by dotting the acceleration vector with the unit vector in the normal direction. What do you get when you do this?

Likes berkeman and Delta2
rcgldr said:
Did you mean polar coordinates? Cylindrical coordinates would include a Z term (r, θ, z). I'll delete this post later.
Yes. I usually use the terms interchangeably.

In 2D, polar and cylindrical are indeed the same unit basis vectors.

I think the decomposition of the acceleration vector ##a(t)## into a tangential component (locally tangent to the path) and centripetal component (perpendicular to the path) truly derivies from using the intrinsic basis: $a(t) = a_centripetal(t) \hat{N} + a_tangential \hat{T}$

and considering the local osculating plane. For example, at a specific point ##P## on the trajectory, the unit basis vector ## \hat{N} ## is exactly in the direction of the radius of the local osculating circle and directed towards its center while, when using polar coordinates, the polar unit vector ##\hat{r}## is not directed to the center of the osculating circle.

As Chestermiller suggests, we can always with the dot product between the polar unit vector and the tangential unit vector but that is an extra step.

fog37 said:
As Chestermiller suggests, we can always with the dot product between the polar unit vector and the tangential unit vector but that is an extra step.
I didn't say polar unit vector. I said normal unit vector.

You did. But the unit radial vector ##\textbf{i}_r## is not necessarily normal to the trajectory of the moving particle, correct? The vector ##\textbf{i}_r## is normal to the angular unit vector ##\textbf{i}_\theta##.

fog37 said:
You did. But the unit radial vector ##\textbf{i}_r## is not necessarily normal to the trajectory of the moving particle, correct? The vector ##\textbf{i}_r## is normal to the angular unit vector ##\textbf{i}_\theta##.
That’s what my equations indicate. So?

Nothing wrong mathematically indeed, just noticing that when many intro physics book talk/introduce the concepts of centripetal and tangential accelerations as vector components of the acceleration vector they implicitly use the local intrinsic unit vectors and intrinsic basis ##(T,N,B)## to express them and not other coordinate systems like cylindrical, spherical or rectangular.

The rate of change of the three unit vectors ##(T,N,B)## are called the Frenet equations...

1. What is the difference between radial and tangential acceleration?

Radial acceleration is the component of acceleration that is directed towards or away from the center of rotation, while tangential acceleration is the component of acceleration that is directed perpendicular to the radius of rotation.

2. How are radial and tangential acceleration related to each other?

Radial acceleration and tangential acceleration are related through the formula for total acceleration, which is the vector sum of the two components. This means that the magnitude and direction of the total acceleration can be determined by combining the magnitudes and directions of the radial and tangential acceleration.

3. Can an object have only radial acceleration or only tangential acceleration?

No, an object in circular motion will always have both radial and tangential acceleration. This is because the object is constantly changing direction and speed as it moves along the circular path.

4. How does radial and tangential acceleration affect the speed of an object in circular motion?

Radial acceleration does not affect the speed of an object in circular motion, as it only changes the direction of the velocity. Tangential acceleration, on the other hand, can either increase or decrease the speed of an object depending on its direction.

5. Can radial and tangential acceleration be negative?

Yes, both radial and tangential acceleration can be negative. Negative radial acceleration indicates that the object is moving towards the center of rotation, while negative tangential acceleration indicates that the object is slowing down.