Radiation Damage In metals from Gamma rays

In summary, gamma rays can damage metal, making it brittle. The question is, how much? Specificly, I need to know how much damange it does in comparison to Neutron radiation damage. For the sake of argument, we asume the worse case scenario that all gamma radiation is absorbed. Gamma rays do a lot less damage (displacements and displacement cascades) than neutrons of comparable energy.
Sebastiaan
From my understanding gamma rays can damage metal, making it brittle. Fortunaly, this appears to be little, but sill if you have a lot (like in p-D fusion) it becomes a serious hazard. The question is, how much? Specificly I need to know how much damange it does in compairison to Neutron radiation damage. For the sake of argument we asume the worse case scenario that all gamma radiation is absorbed, now how much will it weaken Metal compared to high energenic neutrons (> 1 MVe).

Engineering news on Phys.org
I still wasn't able to get any numbers I can use. I know it's a lot less, but I need some estimation of order of magnitude. Something like Gamma radiation causes 0.1% of the damage of Neutron radiation.

I think the results will vary for different types of metals. And if there is a relationship between the damage of neutron and gamma rays it would also vary i assume.
Maybe if you can determine the dose rate of the different types of particles and compare that.

The fundamental difference is that neutrons interact with nuclei (resulting in transmutation) while gamma rays interact with electrons (where the effect is between atoms).

Neutrons actually knock atoms of their lattice positions, and we refer to displacements per atom (dpa), which has been correlated to microstructural changes in various alloys, in addition to the transmutation.

Gamma rays basically ionize metals and effectively increase the electron temperature, but not the so much the temperature of the atoms.

Does this mean all damage from gamma rays on solid metal can be ignored?

From my experience i would say so for real world applications with regard to brittleness ( if brittle is a damaging characteristic ). In most cases as Astronuc said , heat will be produced and this mechanism will usually anneal the brittleness effect out of the metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the intended purpose is not real world application but for hypothetical application with Gigajoules worth of gamma radiation being emitted.

1. What is radiation damage in metals from gamma rays?

Radiation damage in metals from gamma rays refers to the changes that occur in the structure and properties of a metal when it is exposed to gamma radiation. This type of radiation has high energy and can penetrate deep into materials, causing damage at the atomic level.

2. How does gamma radiation damage metals?

Gamma rays can interact with the atoms in a metal and cause disruptions in their structure. This can lead to defects, such as vacancies or interstitials, in the crystal lattice. These defects can weaken the metal and affect its mechanical properties.

3. What are the effects of radiation damage on metal properties?

Radiation damage can result in changes to a metal's mechanical, electrical, and magnetic properties. It can also lead to embrittlement, which makes the metal more prone to fracturing under stress. In extreme cases, radiation damage can cause the metal to become completely unusable.

4. How can we protect metals from radiation damage?

There are several ways to protect metals from gamma radiation damage. One method is to use shielding materials, such as lead or concrete, to block the radiation. Another approach is to use radiation-resistant materials, such as certain alloys, in the construction of structures or equipment that will be exposed to gamma rays.

5. Can radiation damage in metals be reversed?

In some cases, the effects of radiation damage in metals can be reversed through a process called annealing. This involves heating the metal to a high temperature to allow the atoms to rearrange and heal the defects caused by radiation. However, this process may not always be effective, and some level of damage may remain in the metal.