Radiation shielded Go-Pro camera sent through electron beam irradiator

In summary: And anyone familiar with PF knows that, as @berkeman has already said, you don't ask other people to do work you should have done in the first place in order to help you.
ElliotSmith
TL;DR Summary
Digital camera sent through radiation-emitting machine.
A radiation-shielded go-pro camera was sent through an electron beam irradiator.

You can see the effects that the radiation has on the camera in the video.

I wonder how many rads it was exposed to.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Interesting. What is the nature of the source? I'm sort of wondering if there might be something like a massive big transformer there providing intense magnetic field variation. Maybe the speckles just before the max exposure are radiation, and the complete grey-out is the amplifier in the camera getting overloaded by being beside a huge transformer. Just wildly guessing.

ElliotSmith said:
sent through an electron beam irradiator
In the atmosphere? What kind of e-beam source shoots across 1-2 meters in the atmosphere?
DEvens said:
I'm sort of wondering if there might be something like a massive big transformer there providing intense magnetic field variation. Maybe the speckles just before the max exposure are radiation, and the complete grey-out is the amplifier in the camera getting overloaded by being beside a huge transformer.
Agreed, it could be EM interference. I see that kind of response often in high-level EMI susceptibility testing. We use antennas and big power amplifiers to blast the test devices.

@ElliotSmith -- do you have any technical specs for this "radiation shielded" GoPro unit? What level of EN 61000-4-3 (radiated EMI immunity) has it been tested to?

berkeman said:
In the atmosphere? What kind of e-beam source shoots across 1-2 meters in the atmosphere?

Agreed, it could be EM interference. I see that kind of response often in high-level EMI susceptibility testing. We use antennas and big power amplifiers to blast the test devices.

@ElliotSmith -- do you have any technical specs for this "radiation shielded" GoPro unit? What level of EN 61000-4-3 (radiated EMI immunity) has it been tested to?

I don't know any technical details, try reading the video description.

ElliotSmith said:
I don't know any technical details, try reading the video description.
I have no idea what that means. Is there some secret symbol in the YouTube video that I'm supposed to click on to get to some "more details" page? And TBH, I don't appreciated you trying to put more work on me to try to figure out information that you should have posted in the first place...

1579732486739.png

berkeman said:
I have no idea what that means. Is there some secret symbol in the YouTube video that I'm supposed to click on to get to some "more details" page? And TBH, I don't appreciated you trying to put more work on me to try to figure out information that you should have posted in the first place...

View attachment 255928

There is a "read more" tab underneath the video. Anyone familiar with youtube knows this.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 346
ElliotSmith said:
Anyone familiar with youtube knows this.
I guess that's the fundamental problem. I'm out.

ElliotSmith said:
Anyone familiar with youtube knows this.

And anyone familiar with PF knows that, as @berkeman has already said, you don't ask other people to do work you should have done in the first place in order to help you.

Thread closed.

Likes DEvens and berkeman

1. What is a radiation shielded Go-Pro camera?

A radiation shielded Go-Pro camera is a specially designed camera that is able to withstand and protect against high levels of radiation. It is typically used in environments where radiation exposure is a concern, such as in nuclear power plants or medical facilities.

2. How does a radiation shielded Go-Pro camera work?

A radiation shielded Go-Pro camera works by using a combination of materials, such as lead or tungsten, to block and absorb radiation. The camera is also designed with a protective casing that helps to shield the internal components from radiation damage.

3. What is an electron beam irradiator?

An electron beam irradiator is a device that emits a high-energy beam of electrons. This beam is used to sterilize or modify materials, such as food or medical equipment, by breaking down the molecular structure of microorganisms or altering the properties of the material.

4. Why would a Go-Pro camera need to be sent through an electron beam irradiator?

A Go-Pro camera may need to be sent through an electron beam irradiator in order to test its durability and functionality in high radiation environments. This can provide valuable information for industries that use these cameras in radiation-prone settings.

5. What are the potential risks of using a radiation shielded Go-Pro camera?

The potential risks of using a radiation shielded Go-Pro camera are minimal, as long as the camera is properly designed and tested. However, there is always a small risk of radiation exposure when working with any type of radiation shielding equipment, so proper safety precautions should always be taken.