Random walk - why is the STD equal sqrt(n)

The problem with the OP's argument is that he doesn't understand what ##nX_i## means. It does not mean ##X_i## times ##n##: it means the sum of ##n## copies of ##X_i.## That is, it means ##X_i + X_i + \ldots + X_i##. The sum of independent normal random variables is not normal.In summary, the expectation of a random walk is 0 and the variance is equal to the number of steps taken. The sum of the steps is calculated by multiplying the number of steps by the indicator variable, which takes on values of 1 or -1 with equal probability. However, it is important to note that the sum of the steps
gony rosenman
Member warned that the homework template must be used
typical random walk :
one step forward or backward with equal probability and independence of each step , what is the expectation and Variance .

so i define indicator variable xi ={1 or -1 with equal probabilty .
E(xi) = 0
Var(xi) = 1

now define Sn as the sum of i=1,...,n
each step is independent and identical to the other so
i can say that Sn = nxi
now from definition of Expectation and Variance :
E(Sn) = E(nxi) = nE(xi) = 0
Var(Sn) = Var(nxi) = n2Var(xi) = n2 ⇒σsn=n
but i know for certain that actually the answer is σsn=sqrt(n)
how is that ?
please
thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
##S_n## is the sum of ##x_i: i=1..n##
That is not ##nx_i##.

##S_n## would be {##-n, ... , +n##} with a binomial distribution.

Last edited:
.Scott said:
##S_n## is the sum of ##x_i: i=1..n##
That is not ##nx_i##.

##S_n## would be {##-n, ... , 0, ..., +n##} with a binomial distribution.
could you elaborate further?

gony rosenman said:
could you elaborate further?
For n=4:
##Sn## would be {-4, p=1/16; -2, p=4/16; 0, p=6/16; +2, p=4/16; +4, p=1/16}
or {-4, -2, -2, -2, -2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2, 2, 2, 2, 4}

Actually, in post #2, that zero I put in the middle is wrong (I'll edit it):
For n=5:
##Sn## would be {-5, p=1/32; -3, p=5/32; -1, p=10/16; +1, p=10/32; +3, p=5/32; +5, p=1/32}
or {-5, -3, -3, -3, -3, -3, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 5}

.Scott said:
For n=4:
##Sn## would be {-4, p=1/16; -2, p=4/16; 0, p=6/16; +2, p=4/16; +4, p=1/16}
or {-4, -2, -2, -2, -2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2, 2, 2, 2, 4}

Actually, in post #2, that zero I put in the middle is wrong (I'll edit it):
For n=5:
##Sn## would be {-5, p=1/32; -3, p=5/32; -1, p=10/16; +1, p=10/32; +3, p=5/32; +5, p=1/32}
or {-5, -3, -3, -3, -3, -3, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 5}
yes but how do you show that σ=√n

I was just showing that your logic was wrong. I wasn't computing what it would actually be.

.Scott said:
I was just showing that your logic was wrong. I wasn't computing what it would actually be.
are you sure you are capable to assist me ?
i think you might not know what an indicator random variable is and thus you confuse me and might cause actual damage , even though I'm sure your intentions are good

o.k so i figured it out by myself , sor anyone who might stumble upon this confusion i will explain :
so sn ≠ nxi but actually sn = ∑ni=1 xi
so E(sn) = E(x1) +...+ E(xn) = 0
and Var(sn) = Var(x1) +...Var(xn) = n ⇒σsn= √n
my mistake was for doing sn = nxi when actually it is sn = ∑ni=1 which is tremendously different .
good luck!

I am using the same nomenclature that you introduced.
if ##x_i## = {##-1, 1##} with equal distribution
then the distribution you will get with ##S_n## will be what I showed.
When I take the population standard deviation of some example ##S_n##'s, I get ##\sqrt{n}##.

What is very likely is that your ##nx_n## is not normal multiplication. But if it isn't, you would be running into trouble when you use it as normal multiplication later in your work.

Likes gony rosenman
.Scott said:
I am using the same nomenclature that you introduced.
if ##x_i## = {##-1, 1##} with equal distribution
then the distribution you will get with ##S_n## will be what I showed.
When I take the population standard deviation of some example ##S_n##'s, I get ##\sqrt{n}##.

What is very likely is that your ##nx_n## is not normal multiplication. But if it isn't, you would be running into trouble when you use it as normal multiplication later in your work.

What is more likely is that the OP originally made an error, and wrote down something without giving it a lot of thought.

In fact, the original argument of the OP is almost right: each ##X_i## has mean zero, so each has variance ##\text{Var}(X_i) = E(X_i^2)##. However, since it really is true that all the ##X_i^2 = 1## are identical, it follows that the variance is ##\sum 1 = n.##

Last edited:
Likes .Scott

1. What is a random walk?

A random walk is a mathematical concept that models the movement of a hypothetical particle as it takes a series of random steps in a given space. Each step is independent of the previous step and the direction of the step is determined by a random process.

2. Why is the standard deviation (STD) equal to the square root of the number of steps (n)?

The standard deviation of a random walk is equal to the square root of the number of steps because, with each step being independent and random, the overall distance traveled by the particle in any direction is proportional to the square root of the number of steps taken. This relationship is a fundamental property of random walks and can be mathematically derived.

3. How is the STD related to the accuracy of a random walk?

The standard deviation of a random walk is a measure of its spread or variability. As the number of steps in a random walk increases, the standard deviation also increases. This means that the accuracy of the random walk decreases as the number of steps increases, as the particle is more likely to be further away from its starting point.

4. Can the STD of a random walk ever be equal to 0?

No, the standard deviation of a random walk can never be equal to 0. This is because even if the number of steps taken is 0, there is still a non-zero chance that the particle can move in a random direction and end up at a non-zero distance from its starting point.

5. What applications does the concept of random walk have in science?

Random walk is a widely used concept in various scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and computer science. It is used to model the behavior of particles, molecules, stock prices, population dynamics, and more. It can also be used to study diffusion processes, heat transfer, and other phenomena that involve random movement.