Range of f(x): Intersection of h(x) and g(x) Ranges

In summary: Since the function has a period of ##2\pi##, I think you should study it when ##x \in (0,2\pi)##, at the period's bounds, and near ##\pi##. And maybe you should see when its derivative becomes zero to figure out the lower bound of the range, since, from the definition of ##e^x##, this function can't go below ##0##.No for g(0). g(0) is undefined.
baldbrain
Homework Statement
Find the domain and range of
##f(x) = 10^{\sin x} + 10^{\csc x}##
Relevant Equations
##D_f = {D_h}\cap {D_g}##
## Let~~f(x)=h(x)+g(x) , where~~h(x)=10^{\sin x}~~and~~g(x)=10^{\csc x}##
##Then,~~D_f = {D_h}\cap {D_g}##
##Clearly,~~D_h=ℝ~~and~~D_g=ℝ-\{nπ|n∈ℤ\}##
##∴~~D_f =ℝ-\{nπ|n∈ℤ\}##
After considering the new domain, the range of ##\sin x## in ##10^{\sin x}## is ##[-1,1]-\{0\}##
Therefore, the range of ##10^{\sin x}## shall be ##[0.1,10]-\{1\}##
The range of ##\csc x## in ##10^{\csc x}## is ##{(-∞,-1]}\cup{[1,∞]}##
Therefore, the range of ##10^{\csc x}## is ##{(0,0.1]}\cup{[10,∞)}##
As you can see, the ranges of h(x) and g(x) are totally 'opposite'. How to find the range of f(x)?

P.S. I tried Wolfram Alpha and it didn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried graphing it with the Desmos.com graphing calculator?

https://www.desmos.com/calculator
It can give you some insight here about the domain of x and the range of y.

I would focus on the ##10^{csc(x)}## and where x makes it undefined.

jedishrfu said:
Have you tried graphing it with the Desmos.com graphing calculator?

https://www.desmos.com/calculator
It can give you some insight here about the domain of x and the range of y.

That same graph is there on Wolfram Alpha and Geogebra as well. The question is...How did it arrive at that range depicted in the graph? There must be some analytical explanation right?

jedishrfu said:
Yes, I can see that ##x=\{nπ|n∈ℤ\}## are the points of discontinuity. What's confusing me is the totally 'opposite' ranges (sort of) of ##h## and ##g##. How to find the range of their addition?

baldbrain said:
Yes, I can see that ##x=\{nπ|n∈ℤ\}## are the points of discontinuity. What's confusing me is the totally 'opposite' ranges (sort of) of ##h## and ##g##. How to find the range of their addition?
You are confusing the ranges of the subfunctions with the range of the sum of these function. Keep in mind that the combined range is **not** the intersection of the two ranges.

For example, consider ##g(x) = \sqrt x## and ##h(x) = \left(\frac x 2\right)^2## on the interval [0, 1]. On this restricted domain, ##Ran(g) = [0, 1]## and ##Ran(h) = [0, \frac 1 4]##. The range of their sum, ##\sqrt x + \left(\frac x 2\right)^2## is [0, 1.25].

Also, in post #1 you have a mistake:
baldbrain said:
After considering the new domain, the range of
##\sin x## in ##10^{\sin x}## is ##[-1,1]-\{0\}##
Therefore, the range of ##10^{\sin x}## shall be ##[0.1,10]-\{1\}##
The range of sin(x) is [-1, 1]. It's confusing to say "the range of ##\sin(x)## in <whatever>". The range of ##10^{\sin(x)}## is [0.1, 10]. Why do you think that 1 is not in the range of ##10^{\sin x}##?

##f(x) = 10^{\sin x} + 10^{\csc x} = e^{\sin x \ln 10} + e^{\frac{1}{\sin x} \ln 10}##.
Since the function has a period of ##2\pi##, I think you should study it when ##x \in (0,2\pi)##, at the period's bounds, and near ##\pi##. And maybe you should see when its derivative becomes zero to figure out the lower bound of the range, since, from the definition of ##e^x##, this function can't go below ##0##.
Using desmos, the range seems to be ##[0.2, \infty)##.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
You are confusing the ranges of the subfunctions with the range of the sum of these function. Keep in mind that the combined range is **not** the intersection of the two ranges.

For example, consider ##g(x) = \sqrt x## and ##h(x) = \left(\frac x 2\right)^2## on the interval [0, 1]. On this restricted domain, ##Ran(g) = [0, 1]## and ##Ran(h) = [0, \frac 1 4]##. The range of their sum, ##\sqrt x + \left(\frac x 2\right)^2## is [0, 1.25].

Also, in post #1 you have a mistake:
The range of sin(x) is [-1, 1]. It's confusing to say "the range of ##\sin(x)## in <whatever>". The range of ##10^{\sin(x)}## is [0.1, 10]. Why do you think that 1 is not in the range of ##10^{\sin x}##?
Sorry, I had completely forgot about this post. I know it's totally unprofessional to leave a conversation like that.

##x## should have a common domain, right?
$$D_f={D_h}\cap{D_g}$$
If we select ##x=0##, we get ##h(0)=1## but ##g(0)=10^{\infty}=\infty##

Mark44 said:
For example, consider ##g(x) = \sqrt x## and ##h(x) = \left(\frac x 2\right)^2## on the interval [0, 1].
In your example itself, you restricted the domain to ##[0,1]## because both these functions were defined in that interval.
Of course, you can't add these functions on an interval where either of them are not defined.

That's why ##x## can't be 0 and hence, {1} can't be in the range of ##10^{\sin x}##

baldbrain said:
Sorry, I had completely forgot about this post. I know it's totally unprofessional to leave a conversation like that.

##x## should have a common domain, right?
For the sum of two functions g and h, x should be in the common domain, which is different from saying that x should have a common domain. The functions have domains, but the x values are just numbers that may or not be in one or the other domain.
baldbrain said:
$$D_f={D_h}\cap{D_g}$$
If we select ##x=0##, we get ##h(0)=1## but ##g(0)=10^{\infty}=\infty##
No for g(0). g(0) is undefined. It's incorrect to write ##10^\infty##.

Yes, but the domain of ##f## is still ##D_f=ℝ-\left\{nπ|n∈ℤ\right\}## right?
That's why I backtracked it that way.

I'm not having any other idea to proceed:confused:

Last edited:
Any hints?

baldbrain said:
Any hints?
Consider the interval (-pi, pi) and find the extremes of the function. Also, look for the asymptotic behavior near x=0 and x=+-pi

Any specific reason why this interval only?

baldbrain said:
Any specific reason why this interval only?
The function is periodic with period 2pi. If you sketch it in this interval, it looks the same in every interval ((2k-1)pi, (2k+1)pi).

Likes baldbrain and Mark44

1. What is the definition of range of a function?

The range of a function is the set of all possible output values, or y-values, that the function can produce for any given input value, or x-value.

2. How do you find the range of a function?

To find the range of a function, first graph the function and identify the highest and lowest points on the graph. The range will be the set of y-values between these two points, including the points themselves.

3. What is the intersection of h(x) and g(x) ranges?

The intersection of h(x) and g(x) ranges is the set of all y-values that are common to both the ranges of h(x) and g(x). In other words, it is the set of output values that are shared by both functions.

4. How do you find the intersection of h(x) and g(x) ranges?

To find the intersection of h(x) and g(x) ranges, first find the range of each function separately. Then, compare the two ranges to identify any common y-values. These common values will be the intersection of the two ranges.

5. Why is finding the intersection of function ranges important?

Finding the intersection of function ranges is important because it helps us understand the relationship between two functions. It can also help us solve problems involving multiple functions, such as finding the points of intersection between two graphs.