Range of Rational Functions....2

In summary, finding the range of a function, in this case y = (x + 2)/(x - 2), can be done by graphing the function or finding the inverse function and taking its domain. In this particular case, the range of the function is all real numbers except for 1. However, not all functions can be easily determined for their range, especially if they are not one-to-one.
mathdad
Find the range of y = (x + 2)/(x - 2).

I need the steps. According to the textbook, graphing the function leads to finding the range. This may be true for others but not for me. I am not clear on the range idea.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would write:

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{x+2}{x-2}=\frac{x-2+4}{x-2}=1+\frac{4}{x-2}\)

Now, the part:

\(\displaystyle \frac{4}{x-2}\)

has the same range as:

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{1}{x}\)

And then the 1 will shift the range up one unit.

Another approach, as I mentioned in your other thread is to find the inverse function and take its domain:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{y+2}{y-2}\)

\(\displaystyle xy-2x=y+2\)

\(\displaystyle xy-y=2+2x\)

\(\displaystyle y(x-1)=2(x+1)\)

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{2(x+1)}{x-1}\)

So, this is the inverse of the original...what's its domain?

For y = 2(x + 1)/(x - 1), set denominator = 0.

x - 1 = 0

x - 1 + 1 = 1

x = 1

The domain is ALL REAL NUMBERS except for 1.

This, based on what you said, is the range of the original function.

Correct?

RTCNTC said:
For y = 2(x + 1)/(x - 1), set denominator = 0.

x - 1 = 0

x - 1 + 1 = 1

x = 1

The domain is ALL REAL NUMBERS except for 1.

This, based on what you said, is the range of the original function.

Correct?

Yes, that's correct. :D

Does this work with all functions?

RTCNTC said:
Does this work with all functions?

Sometimes it can be difficult, if not impossible, to algebraically determine the inverse, and special care has to be taken with functions that aren't one-to-one. :D

As I go through the textbook, I will post functions that will give me all the needed practice to find domain and range. This is very important.

Related to Range of Rational Functions....2

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a function that can be expressed as a ratio of two polynomial functions. It can be written in the form f(x) = p(x) / q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomial functions and q(x) is not equal to 0.

2. What is the domain of a rational function?

The domain of a rational function is the set of all real numbers except for the values of x that make the denominator equal to 0. These values are called the vertical asymptotes of the function.

3. How do you graph a rational function?

To graph a rational function, you can follow these steps:1. Determine the domain and any vertical asymptotes.2. Find the x and y-intercepts, if any.3. Plot the points and connect them to create a smooth curve.4. Use the behavior of the function near the asymptotes to complete the graph.

4. What is the range of a rational function?

The range of a rational function is the set of all possible output values, or y-values, of the function. It can be determined by considering the behavior of the function near the vertical asymptotes and the end behavior of the function.

5. How do rational functions relate to real-world situations?

Rational functions can be used to model real-world situations such as population growth, drug dosages, and finance. They can help us understand how different variables affect each other and make predictions about their behavior. For example, a rational function can be used to model the relationship between the price of a product and the demand for it.