Ray gun from call of duty zombie?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a ray gun that would fire plasma using a vacuum chamber and a capacitor to ionize hydrogen. There are questions about controlling the firing of the beam and the potential deviation of the beam when it collides with air. The conversation also considers the use of accelerators and lasers as potential proton sources for the gun.
physics user1
Can a ray gun be created? What would it fire? plasma? I know that the dimendion of the ray gun are too short for what am i going to say, but i want to ask if aside this problem this could work: I thought that maybe the things that you put in the ray gun to charge it are batteries, and that the raygun has inside a vacuum chamber wherr there is a coaxial capacitor, and the electric field is strong enough to break the dielectric, hydrogen pass trough this capacitor and it becomes plasma (like in the lightenings) it gets ionized, the potential difference between the capacitors is mantained by the battery, (in order to minimize it and get a strong enough electric field to break the dielectric we minimize the distance between the "plates" of the capacitor. ( V= E * d) ) then, passed the capacitor the protons are guided by a varying magnetic field in a circular path and accelerated by a "mini" cyclotron, then the beam gets fired... but, how do we control the moment when to take the shoot? I mean after the cycle the proton gets out of the cyclotron, we cannot control when to fire the beam by a mechanism activated by the trigger right? There should be a way to keep the beam inside the ray gun till the trigger is pulled, how can this be done? Another question, once fired the beam would collide with the air, would it be deviated by the target? I guess this depends on the velocity of the beam but a little of deviation would be inevitable right? The light that is seen when the beam is fired is due to the air ionization, what colour is it going to be? Blue?

Attachments

• black ops 2 ray gun.png
    black ops 2 ray gun.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 2,135
Physics news on Phys.org
Just keep the protons in the cyclotron if you have one. Or start the whole acceleration process when the trigger is pulled. Small accelerators are fast.

A fast (relativistic) beam of protons would be able to travel through several hundred meters of air without too much deflection (but with notable radiation damage outside the main beam cone), lower-energetic protons won't have that range.

Likes physics user1
mfb said:
Just keep the protons in the cyclotron if you have one. Or start the whole acceleration process when the trigger is pulled.
Thanks for the answer, i think that if the accelerarion process is fast enough the best would be doing it once the trigger is pulled as you suggested, it save also a lot of energy, i tought accelerators need time to get partcles to high energy. Even tough this problem is solved I'm curious:
how can i keep the protons in the cyclotron? The cyclotron has one path that once completed, the proton gets out, am i right? Is not a loop

Is ionizing hydrogen with capacitor a good idea? Is it going to work? Thanks:)

Attachments

• 800px-Zyklotron_Prinzipskizze02.svg.png
    800px-Zyklotron_Prinzipskizze02.svg.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 505
Big accelerators like the LHC need time (about an hour), but smaller accelerators are much faster. The Proton Synchrotron, which is still a large machine with 600 meters circumference, has a cycle time of just a second. The linear accelerators before that are even faster: The protons move through them at thousands of kilometers per second, and the accelerators are just something like 100 meters long: The acceleration has to be fast - less than a millisecond. If you start up the whole machine, it might need some time for calibration and whatever, but that is equivalent to the safety hatch, not the trigger.

Cozma Alex said:
how can i keep the protons in the cyclotron? The cyclotron has one path that once completed, the proton gets out, am i right? Is not a loop
It becomes a loop if you switch off the accelerating electric field.

High voltages are often used as proton sources. Lasers are an alternative.

Likes physics user1

1. How does the Ray Gun from Call of Duty Zombie work?

The Ray Gun is a fictional weapon in the game Call of Duty Zombie. It is a directed-energy weapon that shoots a powerful beam of green energy. It is powered by a fictional element called Element 115, which is found in meteor fragments. This element is used to create the energy beam and is also responsible for the weapon's unique sound and visual effects.

2. Is the Ray Gun based on any real-world technology?

No, the Ray Gun is purely fictional and does not have any real-world counterpart. The concept of a directed-energy weapon is based on existing technology, but the weapon itself is not based on any specific technology or design.

3. How powerful is the Ray Gun in the game?

The Ray Gun is one of the most powerful weapons in the game. It can kill zombies with just one shot, and it has a high rate of fire. However, its power decreases as the game progresses, making it less effective against stronger zombies.

4. Can the Ray Gun be upgraded in the game?

Yes, the Ray Gun can be upgraded in the game through a process called Pack-a-Punch. This will increase its damage and add special effects, making it even more powerful. However, the upgrade process can only be done a limited number of times.

5. Is the Ray Gun available in other Call of Duty games?

The Ray Gun is a popular weapon in the Call of Duty franchise and has appeared in several games besides Call of Duty Zombie, such as Call of Duty: Black Ops and Call of Duty: World at War. However, its design and abilities may vary slightly in different games.