Rayleigh Scattering and linear polarization

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Rayleigh scattering and its relation to light from the sun. It is explained that unpolarized light will hit the atmosphere and the scattered light will be mainly horizontally polarized, while the unscattered light remains unpolarized. The reason for this is due to the oscillating electrons in electric dipoles, which results in sunlight being horizontally polarized. It is also mentioned that all molecules in the atmosphere have similar oscillation directions. A link is provided for further understanding of polarization scattering.
Decimal
Hello,

I am having a bit of trouble understanding the concept of Rayleigh scattering as it relates to light from the sun. My book states that unpolarized light will hit the atmosphere, and the scattered light will be mainly horizontally polarized, while the unscattered light remains unpolarized. Why is this? I understand that the light will scatter because of oscillating electrons in electric dipoles, but I don't see why that would result in sunlight being horizontally polarized. Do all molecules in the atmosphere have similar oscillation directions?

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org

1. What is Rayleigh Scattering?

Rayleigh Scattering is a process in which particles in the atmosphere, such as molecules of air or water, scatter sunlight in all directions. This is why the sky appears blue during the day and red during sunrise and sunset.

2. How does Rayleigh Scattering cause linear polarization?

When sunlight is scattered by particles in the atmosphere, the electric field of the scattered light becomes polarized in a specific direction. This results in linearly polarized light, which is light that vibrates in only one direction.

3. What factors affect the amount of Rayleigh Scattering?

The amount of Rayleigh Scattering is affected by the density and composition of particles in the atmosphere, as well as the angle of the incoming sunlight. It is also more pronounced at shorter wavelengths, such as blue and violet light.

4. What are some applications of Rayleigh Scattering and linear polarization?

Rayleigh Scattering and linear polarization are used in various fields, such as atmospheric science, astronomy, and remote sensing. They can also be utilized in technologies such as polarized sunglasses and polarimetry instruments.

5. Can Rayleigh Scattering and linear polarization be observed in other environments besides Earth's atmosphere?

Yes, Rayleigh Scattering and linear polarization can also occur in other environments, such as on other planets with atmospheres or in interstellar space. It is also observed in laboratory settings with controlled scattering particles.