Re: Union and Intersection of Sets

In summary: Remember, we are here to help guide you to understanding, not simply give you the answer. :)In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of union and intersection of sets. The union of two sets is a set that contains all elements found in either set, while the intersection of two sets is a set that contains elements found in both sets. An example using sets A={1,2,3} and B={2,3,4} is given to illustrate this concept. It is important for individuals to show their progress when asking for help, as it allows for a more effective and efficient learning process.
Farhan1

Hi, Please I need a help regarding Union of sets

can anybody solve this

A={1,2,3} and B={{1,2},3} then what is A Union B and A Intersect B

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hi farhan and welcome to MHB! :D

We ask that our users show their progress (work thus far or thoughts on how to begin) when posting questions. This way our helpers can see where you are stuck or may be going astray and will be able to post the best help possible without potentially making a suggestion which you have already tried, which would waste your time and that of the helper.

Can you post what you have done so far?

Also, I've moved your post into a new thread so the topic discussion can easily be referenced by other members. In future, please post your questions in their own thread. :)

Thanks for Guiding me Moderator! I am just a Bachelor student and I stuck here with this question. Find your site and hope I will get my query done. Once again thanks

Hello and welcome to MHB, Farhan! (Wave)

Farhan said:
...Find your site and hope I will get my query done.

Our mission here at MHB is not to do your work, but to help you figure out how to do it, so you actually learn by being part of the process, rather than simply being given the answer.

If you are given two sets $A$ and $B$, then the union of those sets $A\cup B$ is the set containing all elements found in either $A$ or $B$, while the intersection $A\cap B$ of those sets is the set containing all elements found in $A$ and $B$.

For example, suppose we are given:

\(\displaystyle A=\{1,2,3\}\)

\(\displaystyle B=\{2,3,4\}\)

Then we have:

\(\displaystyle A\cup B=\{1,2,3,4\}\)

\(\displaystyle A\cap B=\{2,3\}\)

Can you now post some progress on your question?

1. What is the difference between union and intersection of sets?

The union of two sets is a new set that contains all the elements from both sets. The intersection of two sets is a new set that contains only the elements that are common to both sets.

2. How do you represent union and intersection of sets in mathematical notation?

The union of sets A and B is represented as A ∪ B. The intersection of sets A and B is represented as A ∩ B.

3. Can the union and intersection of sets be performed on more than two sets?

Yes, the union and intersection operations can be performed on any number of sets. For example, the union of three sets A, B, and C is represented as A ∪ B ∪ C.

4. What is the cardinality of the union and intersection of two sets?

The cardinality of the union of two sets is equal to the sum of the individual cardinalities minus the cardinality of their intersection. The cardinality of the intersection of two sets is the number of elements that are common to both sets.

5. How do you use Venn diagrams to represent union and intersection of sets?

Venn diagrams are graphical representations of sets that can be used to show the relationships between sets. The union of two sets is represented by the overlapping area of the two circles, while the intersection is represented by the overlapping area within the circles.