Reading a plaque rupture flow chart correctly

In summary, the conversation is about a question related to the roles of different substances in the series of events from plaque rupture to MI. The question asks for options where each substance plays two different roles. The answer provided from a book shows Fibrinogen and Antithrombin III as the correct answer, with Fibrinogen playing a role in cross-linking platelets and being converted into fibrin, and Antithrombin III inhibiting the activation of the coagulation cascade and the production of thrombin. The conversation also discusses the confusion over why certain connections in the flow chart are considered as two different roles while others are not. The confusion is cleared up when it is revealed that the Fibrinogen square connects to
K-Feldspar

Homework Statement

I am having a bit of trouble interpreting flow charts given in my biology question sets.

Given the following stimulus:
iv4O3tm.png

The question is :

In which of the following options does each substance play two different roles in the series of events from plaque ruprture to MI?
  1. ADP and collagen
  2. Collagen and Fibrinogen
  3. Antithrombin III and collagen
  4. Fibrinogen and antithrombin III
The answer (from my book) is:

"Fibrinogen binds to the glycoprotein (GO) IIb/IIIa leading to the cross-linking of platelets. It is also converted into fibrin which stabilises these cross-links and leads to aggregation. Antithrombin III inhibits the activation of the coagulation cascade and also inhibits the production of thrombin. The answer is 4.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The answer shown above doesn't make sense to me.

The Fibrinogen square connects to the "Cross links-platelets via GPIIb/III receptor" square, which THEN connects to the "Platelet cross-links stablised" square (i.e. "Fibrinogen" doesn't directly connect to "Platelet cross-links stablised").

Why does this count as two different roles (as asked for in the question) yet e.g. "Exposure of collagen" connecting to "platelets adhere to collagen" which THEN connects to "Platelet activation release of TXA2 and ADP" not count as "two different roles".

Antithrombin III being involved in two different roles makes more sense as it has arrows pointing to 2 other boxes. None of the other options have these 2 arrows coming out.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi,

It seems I had not read the "converts fibrinogen to firbin" box that sits about the "platelet cross-links stabilised" box.

The two roles were "converts fibrinogen to firbin" and "Cross links-platelets via GPIIb/III receptor" NOT "Cross links-platelets via GPIIb/III receptor" and "platelets adhere to collagen".

Thanks

1. What is a plaque rupture flow chart?

A plaque rupture flow chart is a visual representation of the process of plaque rupture in atherosclerosis, a condition where plaque builds up in the arteries. It shows the sequence of events that occur during plaque rupture, including the formation of a blood clot and potential outcomes such as a heart attack or stroke.

2. Why is it important to read a plaque rupture flow chart correctly?

Reading a plaque rupture flow chart correctly is important because it allows us to better understand the process of plaque rupture and its potential consequences. This knowledge can help healthcare professionals make more informed decisions for preventing and treating atherosclerosis.

3. What are the key components of a plaque rupture flow chart?

The key components of a plaque rupture flow chart typically include the different stages of plaque rupture, such as plaque formation, plaque rupture, and blood clot formation. It may also include factors that can contribute to plaque rupture, such as high cholesterol levels and inflammation.

4. How do you interpret a plaque rupture flow chart?

To interpret a plaque rupture flow chart, you should start at the beginning of the chart and follow the sequence of events. Pay attention to the arrows, as they indicate the direction of the flow. You should also look for any symbols or labels that provide additional information about the process.

5. Are there any limitations to reading a plaque rupture flow chart?

While a plaque rupture flow chart can provide a general understanding of the process, it is important to note that it may not accurately represent every individual case. Each person's experience with atherosclerosis and plaque rupture may vary, and the flow chart may not account for all potential factors or outcomes.