Reading Russell's ABC of Relativity, stuck in chapter 3 (about speed of sound)

In summary: ALSO depend on the medium through which the sound is traveling? Like, if the sound is traveling through air, then the speed of sound is the same as air, but if the sound is traveling through water, then the speed of sound is slower in water than in air? In summary, the person is trying to understand the theory of relativity, but is having difficulty because it is difficult to understand.
Wattever
This is turning out to be difficult for me, and I haven't even reached the part where he explains the theory of relativity itself :(

"Let us suppose that the shot is fired from the guard's-van, and the echo comes from a screen on the engine. We will suppose the distance from the guard's-van to the engine to be the distance that sound can travel in a second (about one-fifth of a mile), and the speed of the train to be one-twelfth of the speed of sound (about sixty miles an hour). We now have an experiment which can be performed by the people in the train. If the train were at rest, the guard would hear the echo in two seconds; as it is, it will take two and 2/143 seconds"

Isn't the motion of air molecules (inside the train) relative to the moving train no different from motion of air molecules outside the train relative to earth? Why is there a difference in speed?

This got me confused about sound propagation in general, how can the compressions and rarefactions be http://bumper.gmi.edu/~drussell/Demos/waves/wavemotion.html" the place?!

I would really appreciate any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wattever said:
Isn't the motion of air molecules (inside the train) relative to the moving train no different from motion of air molecules outside the train relative to earth? Why is there a difference in speed?

Hi Wattever! :smile:

I had a look at it at pages 22 to 23 at http://books.google.com/books?id=uF...ussell&client=safari#v=onepage&q=echo&f=false

the screen is on the engine, so the sound is traveling through the air outside the train …

in other words, the air is stationary (relative to the ground), and the sound is traveling as if the train wasn't there.

(It would be different if the sound was traveling inside the train … then the time would be 2 seconds, however fast the train was moving. :wink:)
This got me confused about sound propagation in general, how can the compressions and rarefactions be http://bumper.gmi.edu/~drussell/Demos/waves/wavemotion.html" the place?!

Ah, it isn't neat …

that's why sound (unlike light!) goes round corners, and is generally fuzzy! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhuh, thanks a lot! :D

OK I'm sorry, but why won't the same happen with light? Edit: That is the difference in time

Last edited:
Wattever said:
OK I'm sorry, but why won't the same happen with light? Edit: That is the difference in time

erm :redface:that's what the book's about! :biggrin:

Oh, lol!

tiny-tim said:
… that's why sound (unlike light!) goes round corners...

But, um...

Related to Reading Russell's ABC of Relativity, stuck in chapter 3 (about speed of sound)

1. What is the significance of Chapter 3 in "Reading Russell's ABC of Relativity"?

Chapter 3 in "Reading Russell's ABC of Relativity" focuses on the speed of sound and its relation to relativity. It is an important chapter as it helps to understand the concept of time dilation and how it affects the propagation of sound waves.

2. Why is the speed of sound important in relativity?

The speed of sound plays a crucial role in relativity as it is a fundamental constant that helps to understand the effects of time dilation. It also helps to explain the concept of simultaneity and how it is affected by relative motion.

3. How does the speed of sound change in different reference frames?

According to relativity, the speed of sound remains constant in all inertial reference frames. However, the perceived speed of sound may differ due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

4. Can the speed of sound exceed the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. This means that no object, including sound waves, can travel faster than the speed of light.

5. How does the speed of sound relate to the concept of time dilation?

The speed of sound is directly related to the concept of time dilation. As an object moves closer to the speed of sound, time slows down for the object relative to a stationary observer. This phenomenon is known as time dilation and is a fundamental aspect of relativity.