Rearranging Formulas: Finding W in Terms of M and L

• MHB
  • Thread starter Samwise-zambeezi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, Jameson has been struggling with a formula from school and needs help understanding it. He is working with a tutor to try and understand it better. He is also trying to figure out how to rearrange the terms in terms of W. He is successful in doing so and the equation now looks better in that format.
Samwise-zambeezi
Hi,

I have a formula which I need to rearrange but it's been a while since I covered this at school, I've tried to read up and re-study but I keep getting confused about what I can/can't do to the various brackets.

The formula is:

M = (((W x L / 2) x (L / 2)) - ((W x L / 2) x (L / 4)))

I'm trying to rearrange in terms of W, so W = ...

Any help or advance anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi! Can you start by multiplying each term in this by 4? What do you get if you do that?

Is this the starting formula by the way?

$$M = \left( \frac{W \times L}{2} \times \frac{L}{2} \right) - \left( \frac{W \times L}{2} \times \frac{L}{4} \right)$$

Hi Jameson, Happy New Year and thanks very much for getting back to me!

So, the equation definitely looks better in that format (i was using microsoft excel before). I'll try to mutiply both terms by 4 below (Sorry, I'm not used to using proper math input formatting)...

\[ M=(\frac{W x L}{2}) x (\frac{L}{2}) - (\frac{W x L}{2}) x (\frac{L}{4}) \]

\[ Mx4=(\frac{W x L}{2}) x (\frac{L}{2}) x 4 - (\frac{W x L}{2}) x (\frac{L}{4})x 4 \]

\[ Mx4=(({W x Lx2}) x (Lx2)) - ({W x Lx2}) x L \]

Then, if that's right?... could i divide everything by 'L'?

\[ (\frac{Mx4}{L})=(({W x Lx2}) x L) - ({W x Lx2}) \]

I'm not really sure about that, or if it's right, where to go from here. Think I'm getting confused about which parts of the term i should apply the 'action' to (ie. both sides of the '-', or both sides of the 'x' on both sides of the '-')

Sorry, hard to explain in writing but really appreciate your help

Samwise-zambeezi said:
Hi Jameson, Happy New Year and thanks very much for getting back to me!

So, the equation definitely looks better in that format (i was using microsoft excel before). I'll try to mutiply both terms by 4 below (Sorry, I'm not used to using proper math input formatting)...

\[ M=(\frac{W x L}{2}) x (\frac{L}{2}) - (\frac{W x L}{2}) x (\frac{L}{4}) \]

\[ Mx4=(\frac{W x L}{2}) x (\frac{L}{2}) x 4 - (\frac{W x L}{2}) x (\frac{L}{4})x 4 \]

\[ Mx4=(({W x Lx2}) x (Lx2)) - ({W x Lx2}) x L \]

Then, if that's right?... could i divide everything by 'L'?

\[ (\frac{Mx4}{L})=(({W x Lx2}) x L) - ({W x Lx2}) \]

I'm not really sure about that, or if it's right, where to go from here. Think I'm getting confused about which parts of the term i should apply the 'action' to (ie. both sides of the '-', or both sides of the 'x' on both sides of the '-')

Sorry, hard to explain in writing but really appreciate your help
Please don't use "x" for times. It can get very confusing. Either just write WL or W*L or \(\displaystyle W ]cdot L\).

\(\displaystyle M = \left ( \dfrac{WL}{2} ~ \dfrac{L}{2} \right ) - \left ( \dfrac{WL}{2} ~ \dfrac{L}{4} \right )\)

\(\displaystyle M = \dfrac{WL^2}{4} - \dfrac{WL^2}{8}\)

Factor the common W:
\(\displaystyle M = W \left ( \dfrac{L^2}{4} - \dfrac{L^2}{8} \right )\)

Can you subtract the fractions?

-Dan

Aaah, think I've got it!

So:

\[ M = W (\frac{L^2}{4}−\frac{L^2}{8}) \]

\[ M = W (\frac{L^2}{8}) \]

\[ M / (\frac{L^2}{8}) = W \]Is that right? Looks right, thanks so much guys!

Otherwise known as \(\displaystyle W = \dfrac{8M}{L^2}\).

Good job!

-Dan

1. What is a formula?

A formula is a mathematical expression that uses symbols and numbers to represent a relationship between different variables.

2. How do I create a formula?

To create a formula, you need to first identify the variables involved and the relationship between them. Then, you can use mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to express the relationship in the form of a formula.

3. How do I know if my formula is correct?

You can check the correctness of your formula by plugging in different values for the variables and seeing if the resulting output matches your expected outcome. You can also use mathematical principles and rules to verify the validity of your formula.

4. Can I use existing formulas or do I have to create my own?

It depends on your specific needs and the purpose of your formula. If there is an existing formula that accurately represents the relationship you are trying to express, then you can use it. However, if you need a custom formula for your specific scenario, you will need to create your own.

5. Are there any resources available for help with creating formulas?

Yes, there are many online resources, books, and tutorials available that can help you with creating and understanding formulas. You can also seek assistance from a math or science tutor or consult with a fellow scientist or researcher for guidance.