Recent BS in Comp Sci graduate looking to get into fusion

In summary, the person is from Texas and has been successful in getting a degree despite having struggled in the past. They are now looking to pursue a career in fusion research, but are unsure of where to start. They are open to advice on either option 1 or option 2.
grizzly_vet
Hi all, per the title I'm looking for career advice on getting into fusion. Whether that is working at a fusion company or doing research in the field.

The university I graduated from was the best I could get into at the time, due to the poor grades I left there with (~2.5 GPA) from 06-08.

I returned there in spring 2019 to resume my studies and averaged a 3.82 over the next 5 semesters while living out of my car (PTSD and money issues). Although my goal since returning has been to work in fusion, I stuck with CS to complete my degree before my GI Bill benefits ran out. To finish in time I was also taking pretty difficult course loads 3 semesters in a row, with 5 courses (3 of which were CS, not engineering/physics level difficulty, but often huge programming workloads for each).

I don't think I have the physics/engineering background to get a job with a fusion company, even though I know software engineering is useful pretty much everywhere these days.

My current thoughts are to either:

1) Try and email fusion companies with my admittedly meh resume and a thorough cover letter explaining my high levels of motivation to work my ass off and be an asset however I can.

2) Return to university for a 2nd bachelors in either physics (knowing I would need to work to a PhD) or mechanical engineering (maybe less likely to need grad school).

I'm from Texas originally and with the Hazelwood Act I could attend any Texas public university I get accepted to tuition free for up to 150 hours now that I've used up my GI Bill. So money isn't a huge obstacle in returning to university.

Thanks for reading, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
grizzly_vet said:
I returned there in spring 2019 to resume my studies and averaged a 3.82 over the next 5 semesters
Well done, and thank you for your service. Sorry to hear about the PTSD, and I hope you have good resources to help you with that. (If not, please PM me by clicking on my avatar and "Start a conversation")

So is your goal to write simulation software in fusion research?

Well done, and thank you for your service. Sorry to hear about the PTSD, and I hope you have good resources to help you with that. (If not, please PM me by clicking on my avatar and "Start a conversation")

Thank you and I appreciate that. Part of the problem has been an 8 year disability appeal with the VA that thankfully was resolved in my favor December of last year. I've been avoiding therapy as the 8 or so that I've been to in the past haven't been very helpful. I know I need to keep looking for someone I do like, life has just been very unstable these past few years.

I would enjoy doing that or writing embedded software for the machinery controls/sensors. I really just want to be involved.

berkeman said:

Probably should have you used the quote function so you'd get notified instead of just using quotes in-line haha.

Likes berkeman

1. What is fusion and why is it important?

Fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus. It is the same process that powers the sun and other stars. Fusion has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy, making it an important area of research.

2. What skills are important for a recent Comp Sci graduate looking to get into fusion?

A strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science is essential for anyone interested in working in fusion. Additionally, knowledge of programming languages and experience with data analysis and modeling are valuable skills to have in this field.

3. What career opportunities are available in fusion for a Comp Sci graduate?

There are various career opportunities in fusion for Comp Sci graduates, including software development, data analysis, machine learning, and simulation modeling. There are also opportunities to work in research and development for fusion energy companies and government agencies.

4. How can a Comp Sci graduate prepare for a career in fusion?

In addition to building a strong foundation in relevant subjects, a Comp Sci graduate can prepare for a career in fusion by seeking out internships or research opportunities in the field. Networking with professionals in the industry and staying up-to-date on the latest developments in fusion technology can also be beneficial.

5. What are some current challenges in fusion research and development?

Some current challenges in fusion research and development include creating and maintaining the extreme temperatures and pressures required for fusion to occur, finding materials that can withstand these conditions, and developing efficient methods for extracting energy from fusion reactions. Additionally, funding and public support for fusion research can also be a challenge.