Recoil on mirrors and conservation of momentum

In summary: The mirror?The mirror has less momentum transferred to it than the front of the ship does...At least it looks that way to me. where am I going wrong?The mirror has less momentum transferred to it than the front of the ship does...At least it looks that way to me. where am I going wrong?
Danyon
I wanted to know whether or not a perfect mirror would experience recoil when light reflects off it, and I also wanted to know whether or not light can cause a recoil during total internal reflection. I suspect that the recoil is negligible (Even with a normal mirror) and that you could easily make a reaction-less drive for a spacecraft by simply firing a high powered laser at a mirror at the back of the spacecraft so that the light reflects back and hits the front. The laser will recoil, pushing the craft forward and the reflected light will also push it forward. This seems to violate conservation of momentum. Though it would take a lot of energy to use for useful effect.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
There can be such recoil. This is the basis for the presence of radiation pressure and the concept behind solar sails.

Zz.

Danyon said:
you could easily make a reaction-less drive
No. You could certainly use light as your exhaust, but in the end that is a radiation reaction and not reaction less.

Danyon said:
The laser will recoil, pushing the craft forward and the reflected light will also push it forward.
The mirror will push it back. Drop the mirror and just point a laser backwards.

Dale said:
No. You could certainly use light as your exhaust, but in the end that is a radiation reaction and not reaction less.
Oh okay

A.T. said:
The mirror will push it back. Drop the mirror and just point a laser backwards.
If the mirror pushes back with force equal to the force of the photons at the front of the ship that would imply that half of the energy/momentum of the photon was imparted on the mirror. I don't think the mirror will push back equally. When I look into a mirror I see that the colour of the objects I see doesn't change from the objects original colour. This tells me the energy of the photons does not change significantly after reflection, only a small portion of the energy and momentum of the photon will go into recoiling the mirror while the majority of the energy and momentum will act on the front of the ship when the light is absorbed...Is my reasoning flawed?

Er... do you know how to do impulse calculation when an object, say, a tennis ball, bounces off a wall? This is no different!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Er... do you know how to do impulse calculation when an object, say, a tennis ball, bounces off a wall? This is no different!

Zz.
I don't know how, though the energy of the photon is mostly conserved after reflection, the more energy you have the more momentum you have. the mirror has less momentum transferred to it than the front of the ship does...At least it looks that way to me. where am I going wrong?

Danyon said:
Is my reasoning flawed?
To make any sense you should try to keep energy and momentum apart.

Danyon said:
I don't know how, though the energy of the photon is mostly conserved after reflection, the more energy you have the more momentum you have. the mirror has less momentum transferred to it than the front of the ship does...At least it looks that way to me. where am I going wrong?

Where you are going wrong is trying to tackle this before you understand basic mechanics.

And you really should, as has been stated, separate out "energy" and "momentum". Your question deals with the CHANGE in momentum of an object that is hitting a surface, because the rate of change of momentum of the object signifies the force it exerted onto the surface. For an object that hits and bounces of a surface elastically, the change in momentum is 2p, where p is the initial momentum coming in. The rate of change of this momentum is the force acting on the surface.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Where you are going wrong is trying to tackle this before you understand basic mechanics.

And you really should, as has been stated, separate out "energy" and "momentum". Your question deals with the CHANGE in momentum of an object that is hitting a surface, because the rate of change of momentum of the object signifies the force it exerted onto the surface. For an object that hits and bounces of a surface elastically, the change in momentum is 2p, where p is the initial momentum coming in. The rate of change of this momentum is the force acting on the surface.

Zz.
Okay, I'm a little rusty I haven't done this in a little while. I'l think it over again

Danyon said:
Your reasoning is backwards. The amount of momentum transferred to the mirror is double the amount transferred to the front. Think of someone throwing a ball back and bouncing it off a wall. The ball starts with momentum 0. The ball is thrown with momentum -p. It bounces so the momentum becomes p. Then it is caught so it's momentum becomes 0.

The energy transfer is not comparable so ignore it for now. The reflection is an elastic collision and the absorption is plastic.

Dale said:
Your reasoning is backwards. The amount of momentum transferred to the mirror is double the amount transferred to the front. Think of someone throwing a ball back and bouncing it off a wall. The ball starts with momentum 0. The ball is thrown with momentum -p. It bounces so the momentum becomes p. Then it is caught so it's momentum becomes 0.

The energy transfer is not comparable so ignore it for now. The reflection is an elastic collision and the absorption is plastic.
Okay, thanks. I just got a bit mixed up

1. What is recoil on mirrors?

Recoil on mirrors is a phenomenon where a mirror experiences a slight movement or vibration when light is reflected off of its surface. This is due to the conservation of momentum, as the photons of light have a small amount of momentum that is transferred to the mirror upon reflection.

2. How does conservation of momentum relate to recoil on mirrors?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of recoil on mirrors, the momentum of the photons of light is transferred to the mirror upon reflection, causing it to experience a slight movement.

3. Does the mass of the mirror affect the amount of recoil?

Yes, the mass of the mirror does affect the amount of recoil it experiences. According to the law of conservation of momentum, the change in momentum of the mirror is equal and opposite to the change in momentum of the photons of light. Therefore, a heavier mirror will experience less recoil compared to a lighter mirror.

4. Can recoil on mirrors be observed in everyday life?

Yes, recoil on mirrors can be observed in everyday life. For example, if you shine a laser pointer at a mirror, you may notice a slight movement or vibration of the mirror when the light is reflected. However, this movement is often too small to be easily observed without specialized equipment.

5. Is recoil on mirrors a significant factor in any scientific applications?

In most cases, recoil on mirrors is a negligible factor and does not significantly affect the performance of mirrors in scientific applications. However, in precision experiments or measurements, such as in interferometry, recoil on mirrors may need to be taken into account in order to achieve accurate results.