Recommended Textbooks for AP Physics 1/2: Non-Calculus Based Options

In summary, for those looking for non-calculus based textbooks to prepare for the AP Physics 1/2 exams, some recommended options include "5 Steps to a 5: AP Physics 1: Algebra-Based 2019" by Greg Jacobs, "Cracking the AP Physics 1 Exam, 2019 Edition" by The Princeton Review, and "Barron's AP Physics 1: With Bonus Online Tests, 2nd Edition" by Kenneth Rideout and Jonathan Wolf. These textbooks offer comprehensive coverage of the exam material and provide practice questions and exams to aid in studying. Additionally, "College Physics: Reasoning and Relationships" by Nicholas Giordano and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" by
WILL ZHANG
I'm currently in high school and I'm looking to buy/rent a textbook so I can prepare myself for next year's AP Physics 1/2 class and so I can do well on the AP test. I'm pretty sure the course isn't calculus based. I know for sure my physics class will cover: mechanics, kinetic theory and thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics. Any recommendations for a good textbook?

So far I'm interested in these textbooks:
1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321568095/?tag=pfamazon01-20

2)https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0990724301/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's quite usual to read 2-4 books to understand the subject.
So, get both of the books, Will )
And be ready for more.

Also, don't forget about MOOCs (khan academy, edx, coursera, udacity) and other youtube videos.
In Physics, it's often better to see than to hear.

I assisted (minimally) in choosing the textbook for the AP Physics 1 class for my school, and I believe that my recommendation and the one that the teacher decided on was https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321625927/?tag=pfamazon01-20(it could have also been https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321879724/?tag=pfamazon01-20 as I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was Giancoli. Sorry - I know that's not helpful!). I remember looking at the introduction of Newton's laws in it, and it actually gave fairly good (and in some ways rigorous) explanations, in my opinion, for an algebra based physics text.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a college level calculus based physics book. Any would do, i.e., Giancoli,Resnick, Serway etc.

MidgetDwarf said:
Get a college level calculus based physics book. Any would do, i.e., Giancoli,Resnick, Serway etc.
I do not believe AP Physics 1 is calculus based.

smodak said:
I do not believe AP Physics 1 is calculus based.

That is great to know. I was under the assumption. :)

Likes smodak

1. What are the key features to look for in the best AP Physics 1/2 textbook?

The best AP Physics 1/2 textbook should have comprehensive coverage of all topics included in the course, clear and concise explanations, plenty of practice problems and examples, and supplementary materials such as online resources or practice tests.

2. How do I know if a textbook is suitable for AP Physics 1/2?

You can look for the "AP" label on the textbook cover, which indicates that the book has been specifically designed for the AP Physics 1/2 curriculum. You can also check the book's table of contents to make sure all required topics are covered.

3. Is it better to use one textbook or multiple textbooks for AP Physics 1/2?

This ultimately depends on personal preference and learning style. Some students may find it helpful to use multiple textbooks for different perspectives on the material, while others may prefer to stick with one textbook for consistency.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement the textbook for AP Physics 1/2?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as practice tests, interactive simulations, and video tutorials that can supplement your textbook. Some textbooks also come with online access to additional materials.

5. How can I determine if a textbook is up-to-date and aligned with the current AP Physics 1/2 curriculum?

You can check the publication date of the textbook and also do some research on the author or publisher to see if they have a history of keeping their textbooks updated. You can also compare the textbook's table of contents with the official AP Physics 1/2 curriculum to ensure alignment.