How Do You Purify Compounds Using Recrystallization Techniques?

• Thread starter quarkboy
  • Start date
In summary: Refer to Original Post.(a). If compound B is always completely soluble in ethanol, how could you purify compound A? Would the result of this purification be 100% pure A? Explain.Ans: Recrystallization method must be followed as per lab practice. However, since compound B dissolves completely in the solvent we are able to obtain a pure end product.How soluble is compound A in ethanol? btw, recrystallization procedures are basically never 100% pure, in order to obtain such purities (such as with hydrogen phthalate) one needs to adhere to additional procedures (for instance, drying, your product will probably be contaminated with water).Crystallization
quarkboy
Recrystallization Questions - help needed urgent!

I can't figure this out, please help... I will update with answers as I get them.

1. Compound A has a solubility in ethyl acetate of 18 mg per 50 mL at 20 Celsius, and a solubility of 0.28g per 50 mL at 75 Celsius.

You are given a sample of 0.800g compound A which is contaminated with 2 mg of compound B.

(a). If compound B is always completely soluble in ethanol, how could you purify compound A? Would the result of this purification be 100% pure A? Explain.

Ans: Recrystallization method must be followed as per lab practice. However, since compound B dissolves completely in the solvent we are able to obtain a pure end product.

(b). If compound B has approx. the same values of solubility in ethyl acetate as compound A, how could you purify compound A? Would the result of this purification be 100% pure A? Explain.

Ans: As above, however mixed melting points must be used to identify the compound A. It will not be completely pure as an end-product.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. The solubility of an unknown compound, C, in ethanol is 24mg per 100 ml at 20 Celsius and 0.78g per 50ml at 90 Celsius.

(a). Calculate the min. amount of ethanol needed to recrystallize 2.4g of compound C.

Ans: 0.78g/50ml * 0.024g/x ; x = 158.3ml of ethanol required [90 Celsius]

(b). Calculate the amount of compount C recovered by filtration at 20 Celsius from this min. amount of ethanol.

Ans: 158.3ml (as above) * 24mg/100ml = y

Therefore, 2.4g - y = amount of ethanol [20 Celsius]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Quarkboy, please show what effort you've made first. Click my signature.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Refer to Original Post.

(a). If compound B is always completely soluble in ethanol, how could you purify compound A? Would the result of this purification be 100% pure A? Explain.

Ans: Recrystallization method must be followed as per lab practice. However, since compound B dissolves completely in the solvent we are able to obtain a pure end product.

How soluble is compound A in ethanol? btw, recrystallization procedures are basically never 100% pure, in order to obtain such purities (such as with hydrogen phthalate) one needs to adhere to additional procedures (for instance, drying, your product will probably be contaminated with water). Crystallization always involves a bit of co-precipitation, Fajan's method actually depends on such a phenomenon.

quarkboy said:
I can't figure this out, please help... I will update with answers as I get them.

1. Compound A has a solubility in ethyl acetate of 18 mg per 50 mL at 20 Celsius, and a solubility of 0.28g per 50 mL at 75 Celsius.

You are given a sample of 0.800g compound A which is contaminated with 2 mg of compound B.

(b). If compound B has approx. the same values of solubility in ethyl acetate as compound A, how could you purify compound A? Would the result of this purification be 100% pure A? Explain.

Ans: As above, however mixed melting points must be used to identify the compound A. It will not be completely pure as an end-product.
Looks roughly okay so far...but it's never an easy task to guess what the teacher "wants" you to say.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. The solubility of an unknown compound, C, in ethanol is 24mg per 100 ml at 20 Celsius and 0.78g per 50ml at 90 Celsius.

(a). Calculate the min. amount of ethanol needed to recrystallize 2.4g of compound C.

Ans: 0.78g/50ml * 0.024g/x ; x = 158.3ml of ethanol required [90 Celsius]
That's not an equation. Please rewrite the solution showing your reasoning. Where have you used the fact that you want to make 2.4 g of C crystals ?

How much C will dissolve in 100 mL at 90C ? How much at 20C ? What happens to the difference ? This tells you the weight of crystal formed per 100mL of ethanol. Now use this ratio to determine the volume of ethanol required to make 2.4g of crystal.

(b). Calculate the amount of compount C recovered by filtration at 20 Celsius from this min. amount of ethanol.

Ans: 158.3ml (as above) * 24mg/100ml = y

Therefore, 2.4g - y = amount of ethanol [20 Celsius]
Redo above part and then retry this.

1. What is recrystallization and why is it important in scientific research?

Recrystallization is a process used to purify solid compounds by dissolving them in a solvent and then allowing them to recrystallize as the solvent cools. This technique is important in scientific research because it allows for the isolation of pure compounds for further analysis and characterization.

2. How do I choose the appropriate solvent for recrystallization?

The ideal solvent for recrystallization should have a high boiling point, be chemically inert towards the compound being purified, and be able to dissolve the compound at high temperatures but not at low temperatures. In general, a solvent that dissolves the compound at a ratio of 1:3 at the boiling point is a good choice.

3. Can I recrystallize any compound?

Not all compounds are suitable for recrystallization. Some compounds may not dissolve well in any solvent, while others may decompose at high temperatures. It is important to research the solubility and stability of the compound before attempting recrystallization.

4. How can I determine the purity of a recrystallized compound?

The purity of a recrystallized compound can be determined through techniques such as melting point analysis, TLC (thin-layer chromatography), and NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance) spectroscopy. These methods can help identify the presence of impurities in the sample.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when performing recrystallization?

Yes, it is important to handle all chemicals and solvents with caution and follow proper safety protocols. Some solvents may be flammable or toxic, so proper ventilation and personal protective equipment should be used. It is also important to properly dispose of any waste materials after the recrystallization process.