How Much Netting Does Rita Need to Cover a Rectangular Area?

In summary: I have no other information about it.In summary, the question asks for the amount of netting needed to cover a roughly rectangular area with a height of 9 feet. One side of the area is along a solid fence and could be 4 feet, while the other two sides are 6 feet and 5_1/2 feet (or 11/2 feet) respectively. The netting comes in rectangular or square pieces and the formula used to calculate the area is A = 2(wh + Lh + Lh). The question is unclear about whether the netting is meant to cover the entire surface or just the sides of the fence, making it difficult to determine the exact amount of netting needed.
mathdad
Rita wants to cover a roughly rectangular area with netting. The height is 9 feet (but one side is along a solid fence, so could be 4 feet), two sides are each 6 feet, and the other side is 5_1/2 feet. How much netting does she need? Netting comes as a rectangular or square piece.

My Work:Let A = rectangular surface area Use the formula: A = 2(wh + Lh + Lh) Rewrite 5_1/2 as 11/2 for easy calculation. If the height is 9 feet, use the following set up: A = 2[(11/2)(9) + (6)(9) + (6)(9)] If the height is 4 feet, use the following set up: A = 2[(4)(9) + (6)(9) + (6)(9)]

Is any of this right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I do not understand exactly what you are asking. You say "Rita wants to cover a roughly rectangular area with netting" so I would have thought that you wanted to find the area of that "roughly[ rectangular" region. But then you talk about the "height" and a "solid fence". Are you putting netting around the fence and giving the height of the fence? You say "let A = rectangular surface area?" So are you talking covering a rectangular solid, not a "rectangular area"?

HallsofIvy said:
I do not understand exactly what you are asking. You say "Rita wants to cover a roughly rectangular area with netting" so I would have thought that you wanted to find the area of that "roughly[ rectangular" region. But then you talk about the "height" and a "solid fence". Are you putting netting around the fence and giving the height of the fence? You say "let A = rectangular surface area?" So are you talking covering a rectangular solid, not a "rectangular area"?

I found this question online.

1. What is the formula for calculating the surface area of a rectangle?

The formula for calculating the surface area of a rectangle is A = l x w, where A represents the surface area, l represents the length, and w represents the width.

2. How do you measure the length and width of a rectangle to find its surface area?

To measure the length and width of a rectangle, you can use a ruler or measuring tape. Place the ruler or measuring tape along one side of the rectangle to determine the length, and then measure the width by placing the ruler or measuring tape along the adjacent side.

3. Can the surface area of a rectangle be negative?

No, the surface area of a rectangle cannot be negative. It is a measurement of the total area of all the sides of a rectangle, which is always a positive value.

4. How does the surface area of a rectangle relate to its volume?

The surface area of a rectangle does not directly relate to its volume. The surface area measures the total area of the outside of the rectangle, while the volume measures the amount of space inside the rectangle. However, the surface area can be used to calculate the volume of a rectangular prism using the formula V = l x w x h, where V represents the volume, l represents the length, w represents the width, and h represents the height.

5. Can the surface area of a rectangle be used to find the perimeter?

No, the surface area of a rectangle cannot be used to find the perimeter. The perimeter of a rectangle is the distance around its outside edges, while the surface area is the total area of all the rectangle's sides. However, the perimeter can be used to calculate the surface area of a rectangle by using the formula A = 2(l + w), where A represents the surface area, l represents the length, and w represents the width.