Redox Titrations Bleach help

• Thread starter jesse1256
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redox
In summary: Here you have enough information to calculate moles of Na2S2O3 used, you need to calculate moles of ClO-.In summary, during an iodometric titration, an unknown metal hypochlorite salt, M(ClO)2, was found to have an unreactive metal ion (M2+) and all of the hypochlorite ion bonded to the metal reacted completely with Na2S2O3. The titration of a 0.0499 g sample of M(ClO)2 required 28.42 ml of 0.05521 mol/L Na2S2O3. The identity of metal M cannot be determined without further information.In summary, a mixture of Au(Cl
jesse1256
Redox Titrations Bleach! help!

Homework Statement

An unknown metal hypochlorite salt, M(ClO)2, is subjected to analysis by iodometric titration: the salt is dissolved in dilute sulfuric acid, treated with excess aqueous KI, and then titrated with Na2S2O3 in the same manner as your experiment. The unknown metal ion (M2+) is completely unreactive in the titration. However, all of hypochlorite ion bondd to the metal reacts completely with Na2S2O3. Iodemetric titration of an acidified 0.0499 g sample of M(ClO)2 required 28.42 ml of 0.05521 mol/L Na2S2O3 to reach the equivalence point. What is the identity of metal M?

Homework Equations

IO3^- + 5I^- + 6H^+ → 3I2 + 3H20
I2 + 2S2O3^2- → 2I^- + S4O6^2-
ClO^- + 2I^- + 2H^+ → I2 + Cl^- + H20

The Attempt at a Solution

So far all I have is the number of moles for Na2S2O3 = 0.001569 mol
I have no idea where to go from there! please help

ALSO one more question

Homework Statement

A sample of Au(ClO)3 is contaminated with LiClO. An acidified 0.2000 g sample of this mixture is treated with excess sodium iodide and subjected to iodometric titration. The sample requires 48.24 mL of 0.08893 mol/L Na2S2O3 to reach the equivalence point. Assuming that the Au^3+ and Li^+ ions are unreactive during the titration, determine the mass percent of LiClO in the sample.

Homework Equations

All the equations used in the first question!

The Attempt at a Solution

Only moles so far. =0.004289 molPleae help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

jesse1256 said:
So far all I have is the number of moles for Na2S2O3 = 0.001569 mol

User stoichiometry to find out how many moles of ClO- were present in the sample of the given mass, then use this information to find out molar mass of the metal.

okay that sounds easy enough, I think the main problem I have is not knowing what equation to use. Or do I set up my own stoichiometric equation adding M(ClO)2. and if I do, how do I go about doing that? Thanks!

Forget about using "equations", think about it as just another stoichiometry problem.

All titrations are nothing more but a simple stoichiometry. You know moles of this, you have to calculate corresponding moles of the other.

Redox titrations, also known as oxidation-reduction titrations, are commonly used in analytical chemistry to determine the concentration of a substance in a sample. In this case, the goal is to identify the unknown metal in the hypochlorite salt M(ClO)2. The titration method used is iodometric titration, which involves the reaction between iodine and thiosulfate.

From the given information, we know that the metal ion M2+ is unreactive in the titration, but all of the hypochlorite ions bonded to the metal react completely with Na2S2O3. This means that the number of moles of hypochlorite ion in the sample is equal to the number of moles of Na2S2O3 used in the titration.

Using the given volume and concentration of Na2S2O3, we can calculate the number of moles of Na2S2O3 used in the titration:

n(Na2S2O3) = (0.02842 L)(0.05521 mol/L) = 0.001569 mol

Since the number of moles of hypochlorite ion is equal to the number of moles of Na2S2O3, we can use the balanced equation for the reaction between hypochlorite ion and iodine to determine the number of moles of hypochlorite ion in the sample:

n(ClO-) = n(Na2S2O3) x (2 moles ClO-/2 moles Na2S2O3) = 0.001569 mol

Now, using the molar mass of ClO- (51.45 g/mol), we can calculate the mass of ClO- in the sample:

m(ClO-) = n(ClO-) x M(ClO-) = (0.001569 mol)(51.45 g/mol) = 0.08069 g

Since we know that the sample weighed 0.0499 g, we can calculate the mass percent of ClO- in the sample:

% mass ClO- = (0.08069 g / 0.0499 g) x 100% = 161.7%

This result is clearly incorrect, as the mass percent should never be greater than 100%. Therefore, we can conclude that there must have been an error in the given information or calculations

1. What is the purpose of a redox titration using bleach?

A redox titration using bleach is used to determine the concentration of a substance that is capable of undergoing a redox reaction with bleach. This can be used to determine the concentration of bleach itself or to analyze the concentration of other substances that can be oxidized by bleach.

2. How is a redox titration using bleach performed?

A redox titration using bleach is performed by adding a known amount of bleach to a solution containing the substance being analyzed. The solution is then titrated with a reducing agent until the color of the solution changes, indicating the endpoint of the titration. The amount of reducing agent used is then used to calculate the concentration of the substance being analyzed.

3. What is the role of an indicator in a redox titration using bleach?

An indicator is used in a redox titration using bleach to signal when the endpoint of the titration has been reached. A suitable indicator for this type of titration is one that changes color when the redox reaction is complete, such as a starch solution or a potassium iodide solution.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of a redox titration using bleach?

The accuracy of a redox titration using bleach can be affected by several factors, including the purity and concentration of the bleach, the concentration and stability of the reducing agent, the accuracy of the equipment used, and the skill of the person conducting the titration. It is important to carefully control these factors in order to obtain accurate results.

5. Can a redox titration using bleach be used to determine the concentration of any substance?

No, a redox titration using bleach is only suitable for determining the concentration of substances that can be oxidized by bleach. This includes substances such as iron, iodine, and sulfites, but it cannot be used to analyze substances that are not affected by bleach, such as non-metallic elements or compounds like carbon dioxide.