References in a fictional novel

In summary, a sci-fi writer is considering using references from scientific papers to help with their plot. They note that articles can be easily found without a paywall using some tricks or a journal downloader. They discuss the effects of an asteroid strike on a planet and calculate the height of a tsunami that would flood parts of a coastal city.
happyhacker
I am writing a (hard!) Sci-Fi novel and am considering capturing some of my research in references. I would welcome any suggestions as to online resources that pull together across all science (+ physics) disciplines the sort of subject materials I would likely need. Idea is to focus somehow when I have a particular idea to follow. As an example vox.com may be a suitable news source.

Likes AlexB23
Physics news on Phys.org
happyhacker said:
I am writing a (hard!) Sci-Fi novel and am considering capturing some of my research in references. I would welcome any suggestions as to online resources that pull together across all science (+ physics) disciplines the sort of subject materials I would likely need. Idea is to focus somehow when I have a particular idea to follow. As an example vox.com may be a suitable news source.
I have time on my hands today and I read your post earlier. I am still not sure what it is you want, no reply as yet so I will dip in and guess.
Do you want Science references to put at the end of your book? Like a paper?
Pf is a good start!
Nature and Lancet are readable for biology and medicine.
WHO, CDC also for those areas, you can search for your topics.
UKHSA if you are here(UK) The technical briefings on Covid were very good. If you are not used to graphical representations then skip by them and read the tables and summary.
For physics? I am not a researcher or scientist so I would need a @vanhees71 type guy on that or @PeroK . Ok check LHC and NASA for updates on projects. Example here https://home.cern/

Thanks so much for that pinball and your time. I will look into your refs. So WHO is World Health Org., CDC Centers for Disease Control and Prevention? I am in the UK. Yes, I think what I am looking for is an 'accredited' (not sure if that's the right term) scientific news aggregator. I am an engineer not a scientist.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
happyhacker said:
I am writing a sci-fi plot also, set in 1909 on an alien planet called the Xanadu Wastelands with a 1930s equivalent level of technology. An asteroid struck the planet on 1/16/1909, 148 km from New Spork City. I plan on using sources from science research papers. You can find articles without a paywall quite easily using some tricks or a journal downloader (not gonna say the name of the website). Given my asteroid diameter of 164.4 m, and a collision speed of 17 km/s, I calculated the tsunami height to be 5-8 meters using a few articles. That would probably flood parts of the coastal city of New Spork.

So yeah, feel free to use Research Gate or any other scientific journal or newspaper you see fit. :)

1. What are references in a fictional novel?

References in a fictional novel are allusions or mentions of real people, events, or places in a work of fiction. These references can add depth and context to the story and help readers make connections to the real world.

2. Why do authors include references in their novels?

Authors may include references in their novels for a variety of reasons. It can add authenticity to the story, provide historical or cultural context, or make a statement about a current issue or topic. References can also be used to pay homage to other works or authors.

3. How can references in a fictional novel affect the reader?

References in a fictional novel can affect the reader in different ways. They can enhance the reader's understanding and enjoyment of the story, make them think critically about the themes and messages being conveyed, or evoke emotions and memories related to the referenced real world elements.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for including references in a fictional novel?

There are no strict rules for including references in a fictional novel, but authors should be mindful of copyright laws and avoid using real people or events in a defamatory or offensive manner. It is also important to ensure that the references are relevant and add value to the story.

5. Can references in a fictional novel be used to support the author's message or theme?

Yes, references in a fictional novel can be used to support the author's message or theme. By referencing real world elements, the author can make a stronger case for their message or theme and provide evidence or examples to support their ideas. However, it is important for the references to be used in a meaningful and relevant way to avoid seeming forced or contrived.