Regarding fixed points in finite groups of isometries

In summary, there is a theorem (theorem 6.4.7 in Algebra - M Artin) for finite groups of isometries in a plane that states there is a point fixed by every element in the group. However, there is an unstated belief that this is the only point fixed. The proof for this is fairly simple to understand, but there is a question about whether this is the only fixed point for the entire plane. After some discussion, it is clarified that this belief is not true for all isometries, as reflections can also fix an entire line. However, in
fronton
There is a theorem for finite groups of isometries in a plane which says that there is a point in the plane fixed by every element in the group (theorem 6.4.7 in Algebra - M Artin). While the proof itself is fairly simple to understand, there is an unstated belief that this is the only point that is fixed. Can somebody point me to a proof that there is only one point fixed by the group over all points in the plane? I would be so grateful,

Thanks,
Kind regards,
--
SACHIN

Physics news on Phys.org
fronton said:
... there is an unstated belief that this is the only point that is fixed. Can somebody point me to a proof that there is only one point fixed by the group over all points in the plane?

An unstated belief, hmm..., how do you know they have this unstated belief?

The group [itex]M[/itex] they refer to includes reflections, which fixes entire lines.

A translation is an isometry that fixes no points.

Yes, but a translation would not be part of a finite group of isometries.

A reflection across a line generates a group of order 2 and it fixes an entire line, so the statement you are making is not true.

Now suppose you are talking about orientation preserving isometries. If two points are fixed by every element of the group, then the line between those points must also be fixed (isometries must take lines into lines, as they are the distance minimizing paths). Isometries also preserve angles, so if the line m is fixed, with P on m fixed. Let n be the line through P perpendicular to m. Isometries preserve angles, and we are just in 2D. So either line n is fixed, or it is flipped. But the latter is impossible for an orientation preserving map. Now the same logic holds for every line perpendicular to m. Since they sweep out the whole plane, every point in the plane must be fixed.

Right I misread the post.

Thanks everybody for the clarification. You're right I did forget about reflections. But just merely out of mathematical curiosity is there a way to prove for isometries involving rotations only, not involving reflections, that only a single point is fixed for all rotations of a finite group. The reason that I got interested in this is because the fixed point theorem proof takes a general point and proves that the centroid of all isometries of a finite group fixes the centroid. I thought then what happens if one considers a different point? Will the centroid of all isometries of that point also be fixed and will it be the same point as the first one? Anyway if somebody has the answer to this please do share it,

Thanks,
Kind regards,
--
Sachin

I am sorry please ignore my previous post. I didn't read Vargo's reply which proves very nicely what I had set out to prove,

1. What are fixed points in finite groups of isometries?

Fixed points in finite groups of isometries refer to the points in a geometric object that do not change position under the transformations performed by the group. In other words, these points remain fixed or stationary, regardless of how the object is rotated, translated, or reflected.

2. How are fixed points related to symmetry in groups of isometries?

Fixed points are closely related to symmetry in groups of isometries. In fact, symmetry can be thought of as the preservation of fixed points under a transformation. This means that if a point is fixed under a transformation, it is also fixed under all other transformations in the group.

3. Can a finite group of isometries have more than one fixed point?

Yes, a finite group of isometries can have multiple fixed points. In fact, some geometric objects may have an infinite number of fixed points, depending on the type of transformation and the symmetry of the object. For example, a regular polygon has multiple fixed points under rotation, while a rectangle has four fixed points under both rotation and reflection.

4. How can fixed points be used in practical applications?

Fixed points in finite groups of isometries have numerous practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. In computer graphics, fixed points are used to create symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing designs. In robotics, fixed points are used to ensure the accuracy and precision of movements. In physics, fixed points are used to study the behavior and properties of physical systems under different transformations.

5. Are there any famous examples of fixed points in finite groups of isometries?

Yes, there are several well-known examples of fixed points in finite groups of isometries. One of the most famous is the Escher's Print Gallery, which depicts a group of people walking up and down stairs in a never-ending cycle, with each person being a fixed point of the overall transformation. Another example is the Penrose triangle, which appears to be a three-dimensional object, but is actually an impossible figure with multiple fixed points under rotation and reflection.