Related Rates/ cone question

In summary, the rate at which the water level is rising when the water is 3 m deep is approximately 0.239 m/min, as found by setting up an equation using the given information and solving for dh/dt. This is due to a small mistake in the volume formula used in the original calculation.
tmt1
A water tank has the shape of an inverted circular cone with base radius 2 m
and height 4 m. If water is being pumped into the tank at a rate of 2 m^3/ min, find the rate at which the water level is rising when the water is 3 m deep.

The answer to this question is $$\frac{8}{9\pi}$$But I got a different answer, here is what I did:

We have

$$\d{V}{t} = 2 m^3 /min$$

and we need

$$\d{h}{t} = ?$$

The volume of a cone is

$$V = \frac{1}{3}\pi r^2 h$$

Since $$2/4 = r/h$$, $$r= h/2$$ and I can change the volume formula to:

$$V = \frac{1}{12}\pi h^3$$

we derive this:

$$\d{V}{t} = \frac{\pi}{4}h^2 \d{h}{t}$$

We already know dV/dt:

$$2 m^3 /min= \frac{\pi}{4}h^2 \d{h}{t}$$

We isolate dh/dt:

$$\frac{8}{\pi 16} = \d{h}{t}$$

h is equal to 4:

$$\frac{8}{\pi h^2} = \d{h}{t}$$

Thus the answer is:

$$\d{h}{t} = \frac{1}{\pi 2} $$

I've done this question multiple times and I keep getting the same answer which is wrong.

EDIT: I solved it, h is equal to 3 not 4.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So the answer is $$\frac{3}{\pi}$$

Hi there! Thank you for sharing your approach to solving this problem. It looks like you made a small mistake in your calculations. The volume formula for a cone is actually V = (1/3)πr^2h, not V = (1/12)πh^3. This is why your answer is different from the correct one.

To solve the problem, we can use the given information to set up an equation:

V = (1/3)π(2)^2h

We know that dV/dt = 2 m^3/min, so we can substitute this in and solve for dh/dt:

2 = (1/3)π(2)^2(dh/dt)

dh/dt = (3/4π) m/min

Substituting in h = 3 (since the water level is 3 m deep), we get:

dh/dt = (3/4π) m/min = 0.239 m/min

Therefore, the rate at which the water level is rising when the water is 3 m deep is approximately 0.239 m/min. I hope this helps clarify the solution. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a related rates problem?

A related rates problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. It usually involves a scenario where two or more variables are changing simultaneously and are related by a mathematical equation.

2. How do you solve a related rates problem?

To solve a related rates problem, you need to follow these steps:

• Identify the variables and their rates of change in the problem.
  • Write an equation that relates the variables.
  • Take the derivative of the equation with respect to time.
  • Substitute in the given values and solve for the unknown rate of change.

3. What is a cone question?

A cone question is a type of related rates problem that involves a cone-shaped object. It usually asks for the rate of change of either the height or the radius of the cone, while the other variable is changing.

4. What is the formula for the volume of a cone?

The formula for the volume of a cone is V = 1/3πr^2h, where r is the radius and h is the height of the cone.

5. Can you give an example of a cone question and how to solve it?

Example: A cone-shaped water tank has a height of 10 feet and a radius of 4 feet. The water level is decreasing at a rate of 2 feet per minute. How fast is the volume of water in the tank decreasing when the water level is 6 feet?

Solution: We know that the volume of a cone is V = 1/3πr^2h and the water level is changing at a rate of -2 feet per minute (since it is decreasing). We want to find the rate of change of the volume (dV/dt) when h = 6 feet.

Substituting the given values, we have: V = 1/3π(4)^2(6) = 32π ft^3. Taking the derivative with respect to time, we get: dV/dt = π(4)(2)(-2) = -16π ft^3/min.

Therefore, the volume of water in the tank is decreasing at a rate of 16π ft^3/min when the water level is 6 feet.